Quantum Hall Thruster? (QuantumHallEffect+HallThruster=?)

In summary, the Quantum Hall Effect may offer a way to create a powerful magnetic field that could be used to accelerate propellant mass.
sanman
I've heard of the Hall Effect, and I've heard of Hall Thrusters. But then there's also something called the Quantum Hall Effect. Does that mean there could possibly one day be Quantum Hall Thrusters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the actual phenomena beyond just the names given to them?

Zz.

Hi Zapper,

Why didn't I predict this reply from you? :)

I'm still asking -- can the Quantum Hall Effect be used for propulsion or enhancement of propulsion?

sanman said:
Hi Zapper,

Why didn't I predict this reply from you? :)

I don't know why you didn't. Your post were simply inviting such a response, especially when it seems to indicate that you were doing nothing more than shuffling the names around.

I'm still asking -- can the Quantum Hall Effect be used for propulsion or enhancement of propulsion?

I'll answer that after you tell me how you propose to create a 2D electron transport system in a Hall thruster.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'll answer that after you tell me how you propose to create a 2D electron transport system in a Hall thruster.

Zz.

Graphene could be used as a 2D electron transport system. It's being touted as the best conductor ever, exceeding copper, gold and silver.

sanman said:
Graphene could be used as a 2D electron transport system. It's being touted as the best conductor ever, exceeding copper, gold and silver.

I didn't ask for a 2D system! I asked for how you're going to create a 2D system in a hall thruster.

Zz.

Hey, I'm the one asking the question here. Can it be done?

sanman said:
I've heard of the Hall Effect, and I've heard of Hall Thrusters. But then there's also something called the Quantum Hall Effect. Does that mean there could possibly one day be Quantum Hall Thrusters?
Please look at the conditions under which the Quantum Hall Effect is observed, then compare those conditions and environment with a those of Hall thruster.

The Hall effect is generic.

Consider fusion. The sun and stars produced energy by fusion. Look at the conditions under which that occurs. Then look at the fusion system that people are trying to build on the earth. Both are fusion and subject to the same principles of physics, but they are orders of magnitudes apart in terms of power density, particle density and pressure.

But the hall effect is observed under conditions of low temperature and strong magnetic fields. I don't see that maintaining a low temperature should be difficult for a spaceprobe, which is isolated in a vacuum. Furthermore, there are newer materials like graphene, which has been found exhibit the Quantum Hall Effect at room temperature!

http://www.cise.columbia.edu/nsec/research/nuggets.php?subsection=quantum

I'm wondering if the Quantum Hall Effect could perhaps be used in reverse, so that the flow of electrons would generate a strong magnetic field. That magnetic field could perhaps then be used to accelerate propellant mass.

sanman said:
I'm wondering if the Quantum Hall Effect could perhaps be used in reverse, so that the flow of electrons would generate a strong magnetic field. That magnetic field could perhaps then be used to accelerate propellant mass.
No, it can not. If all you want is to make a magnetic field, you'd just use an electromagnet.

sanman said:
But the hall effect is observed under conditions of low temperature and strong magnetic fields. I don't see that maintaining a low temperature should be difficult for a spaceprobe, which is isolated in a vacuum. Furthermore, there are newer materials like graphene, which has been found exhibit the Quantum Hall Effect at room temperature!

http://www.cise.columbia.edu/nsec/research/nuggets.php?subsection=quantum

The objective is to get the propellant as hot as possible, with a lot of kinetic energy/momentum per unit mass (and mass flow rate).

Hall effect thrusters are hot.

Even better, MPD or magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters.

Well, a magnet based on superconductivity is better than one based on conventional electromagnets. That seems to be the premise of various futuristic maglev concepts.

The Quantum Hall Effect seems to exhibit an apparently inertia-free ("massless") movement of electrons in the presence of a strong orthogonal magnetic field. Couldn't this "massless" (bosonic? wave-like?) movement be exploited for some beneficial propulsive purpose?

If the electrons are ejected in a "massless" way, then shouldn't this be independent of action-reaction and conservation of momentum? After all, they are moving along the graphene without any apparent mass -- so if you've lost your apparent mass, then how can can you impart any action-recoil to anything? The electrons would be accelerated to near light-speed, ejected from some electron-gun, and then impact against a "sail" extending out from the gun, thus imparting action-reaction momentum to the entire apparatus.

Why should the electrons move along the graphene electrode in a "massless" way and not eject from it in a similarly "massless" way?

Astronuc said:
The objective is to get the propellant as hot as possible, with a lot of kinetic energy/momentum per unit mass (and mass flow rate).

Hall effect thrusters are hot.

Even better, MPD or magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters.

Alright, but the hallmark of the Quantum Hall Effect (which graphene shows at room temp) is that electrons move in a "massless", "wave-like" way, sort of like photons.

So somehow mass-bearing electrons are being given apparent masslessness.
So from the perspective of the tiny electron, they're getting quite a lot of propulsive benefit, given that their inertial mass is being neutralized.

Can the wave-like nature somehow be exploited?

1. What is a Quantum Hall Thruster?

A Quantum Hall Thruster is a type of plasma-based spacecraft propulsion system that utilizes the principles of the Quantum Hall Effect to generate thrust. It is a highly efficient and precise method of propulsion that is commonly used in space missions.

2. How does the Quantum Hall Effect contribute to the functioning of a Hall Thruster?

The Quantum Hall Effect is a quantum phenomenon that occurs when an electric current flows through a thin layer of material in the presence of a strong magnetic field. This effect is utilized in a Hall Thruster to create a force that propels ions out of the thruster and generates thrust.

3. What are the advantages of using a Quantum Hall Thruster over traditional propulsion systems?

Quantum Hall Thrusters have several advantages over traditional propulsion systems, including higher specific impulse (fuel efficiency), lower power consumption, and longer operational lifetime. They also have the ability to operate at a wider range of power levels, making them more versatile for different space missions.

4. What are the potential applications of Quantum Hall Thrusters?

Quantum Hall Thrusters have a wide range of potential applications, including use in satellites, deep space probes, and interplanetary spacecraft. They can also be used for orbital maneuvers, station-keeping, and attitude control.

5. What are the current challenges in developing and implementing Quantum Hall Thrusters?

Some of the current challenges in developing and implementing Quantum Hall Thrusters include the need for more efficient and reliable power sources, as well as the development of more advanced materials and manufacturing techniques. There is also ongoing research to improve the efficiency and performance of these thrusters for future space missions.