Quantum imaging with undetected photons - adding of states

In summary, the paper "Quantum imaging with undetected photons" discusses the creation and interference of idler photons at NL1 and NL2 in order to create a superposition of states where a signal photon can be present at either c or e. This is achieved through down-conversion events triggered in the crystals, resulting in a superposition of states with either a signal photon at c or e. This allows for interference between the two possibilities, leading to the results presented in the paper.
Sonderval
I have a question concerning the paper "Quantum imaging with undetected photons".
http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.4318
In the schematic (Fig. 1) a photon (idler) is created at NL1 and passing the object at O to be reflected further to NL2.
It is then stated in the paper
"By reflection at dichroic mirror D2, the
idler from NL1 aligns perfectly with idler amplitude produced at NL2,
[tex]|d\rangle_i \rightarrow |f\rangle_i[/tex]"
However, if the incoming green laser beam at NL2 also creates an identical photon, why is the resulting state not a two-photon state? Why is it permissible to simply add the amplitude of the two idler photons

Likes Symmetry777 and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
On page 2, they write "The probability that a down-conversion occurs at each crystal is equal and very low so the chance that more than one pair of photons is produced at a given time can be neglected."

This doesn't mean only that cases where two or more pairs are produced in a single crystal can be neglected, but also cases where pairs are created in both crystals simultaneously. So you never have a two photon idler state but only single idler photons and you don't know whether a photon comes from one crystal or the other because both crystals produce idler photons in state |f>.

That's at least the impression I got from skimming the relevant part of the paper.

Last edited:
Likes liuray, atyy, Sonderval and 1 other person
@kith
Thanks a lot for finding this - I was reading the nature version, where this sentence is missing (nasty nature's space restrictions). I think I get how it works now.

O.k.,, after thinking again, I don't get it at all.
If you never have simultaneous production of photons at NL1 and NL2, how can the states |c⟩ and |e⟩ interfere at BS2 (i.e., how can there ever be two photons at the dashed vertical line in Fig. 1)?

Sonderval said:
O.k.,, after thinking again, I don't get it at all.
If you never have simultaneous production of photons at NL1 and NL2, how can the states |c⟩ and |e⟩ interfere at BS2? (i.e., how can there ever be two photons at the dashed vertical line in Fig. 1)
Let's look at the most simple case first. Remove all crystals and dichroic mirrors. Also let's assume that the green laser is a single photon source (which it isn't because regardless of intensity, lasers produce coherent states).

So we only have a single photon, a beam splitter and a beam combiner. How would you describe the situation at the dashed vertical line now? What exactly goes wrong if you apply the same description to the more complicated case?

(Also an answer to your last question is that signal and idler photons come in pairs. So if a down-conversion event is triggered in one of the crystal, there will always be two photons at the dashed line. But I don't think that this is the issue.)

Likes Symmetry777
@kith
Thanks for the help. I think I got it now, here is my current understanding:

"if a down-conversion event is triggered in one of the crystal, there will always be two photons at the dashed line"

If down-conversion is triggered at, say NL1, I will have a photon at c and one idler f, but no photon e.
If down-conversion is triggered at NL2, I'll have a photon e and f, but not c. This is what I also see in eq. (1) of the paper - the f-state occurs together with either c or e.

So the system is actually in a superposition of states, one with a signal photon at c and one with a signal photon at e, because we do not know which of the two ways actually happened. (The same as in a standard double-slit.)

And then I get interference between these two possibilities to get to eq. (2).

Is this the trick?

Yes, this sounds good to me.

Likes Sonderval
Thanks a lot.

1. What is quantum imaging with undetected photons?

Quantum imaging with undetected photons is a technique that uses quantum entanglement to create images without directly detecting the photons that make up the image. Instead, the photons remain in a state of superposition, allowing for the creation of images with higher resolution and sensitivity than traditional imaging methods.

2. How does quantum imaging with undetected photons work?

In this technique, a pair of entangled photons are sent through a sample, with one photon being detected and the other remaining undetected. The undetected photon carries the information about the sample and is combined with a reference beam to create an interference pattern. This pattern is then detected and reconstructed to form an image.

3. What are the advantages of using undetected photons in quantum imaging?

Using undetected photons allows for the creation of images with higher resolution and sensitivity, as well as the ability to image objects that are optically opaque or hidden. It also reduces the potential for damage to the sample, as the photons do not directly interact with it.

4. Can quantum imaging with undetected photons be used for practical applications?

Yes, this technique has already been used for practical applications such as medical imaging, security scanning, and remote sensing. It has also shown potential in fields such as astronomy, where traditional imaging methods are limited.

5. What are the limitations of quantum imaging with undetected photons?

One limitation is the need for specialized equipment and highly controlled environments, which can make it more expensive and less accessible compared to traditional imaging methods. Additionally, the technique is still in its early stages and further research is needed to fully understand its capabilities and limitations.