Quantum Measurements of L2 in a Wave Function: Calculations and Probabilities

• Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    observables
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in quantum mechanics involving a particle described by a wave function. The goal is to find the values that a measurement of L2 can yield and the probability for these results. The problem involves using spherical harmonics and expanding the given wave function in terms of these harmonics. The conversation also suggests using the fact that L2Ψ=ħ2l(l+1)Ψ to make the problem easier.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

A particle is in a state described by a wave function of the form ψ(r) = (x+y+z)f(r).
What are the values that a measurement of L2 can yield? What is probability for all these results?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel this problem shouldn't be too hard but I've been struggling with quantum since last semester so any guidance would be nice. I think i should probably write the function in spherical terms to start off with. but I'm not too clear on where to go from there. I also know that i need to use Ylm too but again, I'm pretty confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be helpful to use the spherical harmonics written in Cartesian coordinates. Your task is to find ##Y_{lm}##'s in which the given ##\psi(\mathbf{r})## is expanded, $$\psi(\mathbf{r}) = f(r)\sum_{lm} c_{lm} Y_{lm}(\hat{r})$$

ok ill try to do some work with that. I'm still pretty lost on what the whole Ylm thing is about but hopefully i can make some sense of it.

I don't know what book you're studying out of, but most go through the steps to show that L2Ψ=ħ2l(l+1)Ψ That might help make the problem a bit easier.

Related to Quantum Measurements of L2 in a Wave Function: Calculations and Probabilities

1. What is a wave function in quantum mechanics?

A wave function in quantum mechanics is a mathematical description of a particle or system of particles that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. It is represented by a complex function that evolves over time and can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state or location.

2. How are quantum measurements of L2 performed?

Quantum measurements of L2 are performed by using mathematical operators to extract information about the state of a particle or system. These operators act on the wave function to calculate the expected value of the measurement, which represents the most likely outcome of the measurement.

3. Why is L2 important in quantum mechanics?

L2 is an important measurement in quantum mechanics because it represents the angular momentum of a particle or system. It is a fundamental quantity that is conserved in many physical processes and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How do calculations and probabilities factor into quantum measurements of L2?

Calculations and probabilities are essential components of quantum measurements of L2. The wave function is used to calculate the expected value of L2, and the probabilities of different outcomes are determined by taking the squared magnitude of the wave function at a particular state or location.

5. Can quantum measurements of L2 be used to predict the exact state of a particle?

No, quantum measurements of L2 cannot predict the exact state of a particle. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the state of a particle is inherently uncertain, and any measurement can only provide probabilities of different outcomes. The exact state of a particle can only be determined by performing an actual measurement and observing the result.