1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Quantum mechanics (Popular science)

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    Could anybody suggest good popular science books based on quantum mechanics ?
    It would be great if the book contained a lot of theory rather than its history.
    As a side note, has anybody read the book titled "Quantum" by Manjit Kumar ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I got 28 hits, not all unique, searching at Amazon for quantum mechanics for dummies. I doubt that you will find "lots of theory" popular.

The root problem is that QM is so far removed from experience and intuition, that's what the QM interpretation debate is all about. How can we (re)interpret QM making it accessible to intuition?

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    Well then, what is your impression about the book by Manjit Kumar ?

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

With respect, I have not read Manjit Kumar's book.

Most recently I spent a month trying and failing to get through Unger and Smolin's The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time: A Proposal in Natural Philosophy. Brazilian Unger's portion of the book used sentence structure just too awkward to endure.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5
    Well have you read "The Cycles of time" by Roger Penrose ?

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7
    QED by Richard Feynman is very fun. Also, Feynman’s original lectures on QM: they’re not quite pop science but are aimed at 1st-year undergrads and are easier than most textbooks. The early chapters read quite like popular science, and only require high-school knowledge. You can read it for free at http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_toc.html

There is also Roger Penrose’s Road to Reality, which is very theory-heavy and meant to be excellent, but despite technically being popular science I found it far harder than any textbook. If you like very very concise explanations of difficult ideas you might like it.

9. Jan 11, 2015 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Jan 11, 2015 #9

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

In 'Singular Universe', Part I, Chapter 1, is the section titled 'The selective realism of mathematics' wherein Unger introduces their thesis against mathematics as misleading formalism, as maths-salad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted