1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics potential well solutions-help

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    I was working through the text book and it just gave the solutions to the potential well barrier as in [B/A]*2 and [F/A]*2 and T i was trying to figure it out with the conditions but couldnt get the answer i have attached the conditions, can some one show me how to find these values from the conditions

thanks
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you've tried so far and maybe someone will be able to get you unstuck.

The basic idea is to eliminate the coefficients one at a time. You have four equations for five unknown coefficients A, B, C, D, F. First, you eliminate one coefficient by substituting equations into each other until you end up with three equations for four unknown coefficients. Then you eliminate another coefficient to get two equations for three unknown coefficients. Finally you get to one equation for, say, A and B, and that gives you [itex](A/B)^2[/itex].

Then you backtrack and find the other coefficients. It takes a lot of algebra!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook