1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Question on Angular Momentum

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a system that is initially in the state:

[itex]\psi\left(\theta,\phi\right)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}Y_{1,-1}\left(\theta,\phi\right) + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{5}Y_{1,0}\left(\theta,\phi\right)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}Y_{1,1}\left(\theta,\phi\right)[/itex]

Part 1: Find [itex]<\psi|L_{+}|\psi>[/itex]
    Part 2: If [itex]L_{z}[/itex] is measured, what values would one obtain and with what probabilities?

2. Relevant equations

• [itex]L_{z}|lm>=mh|lm>[/itex]
    • [itex]L_{+}|lm>=[l(l+1)-m(m+1)]^{\frac{1}{2}}h|lm + 1>[/itex]
    • [itex]Probability = \frac{|<\varphi|\psi>|^{2}}{<\psi|\psi>}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For Part 1:

So I started off by putting the expression for [itex]\psi\left(\theta,\phi\right)[/itex] in Bra-Ket notation:

[itex]|\psi> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|1,-1> + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{5}|1,0> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|1,1>[/itex]

Then I applied [itex]L_{+}[/itex] to each individual component:
    • [itex]L_{+}|1,-1> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[1(1+1)-(-1)(-1+1)]^{\frac{1}{2}}h|1,0> = \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}}h|1,0>[/itex]
    • [itex]L_{+}|1,0> = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{5}[1(1+1)-0(0+1)]^{\frac{1}{2}}h|1,1> = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}h|1,1>[/itex]
    • [itex]L_{+}|1,1> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[1(1+1)-(-1)(-1+1)]^{\frac{1}{2}}h|1,2> = 0[/itex]

So, [itex]L_{+}|\psi> = \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}}h|1,0>[/itex][itex]+ \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}h|1,1>[/itex]

And then,

[itex]<\psi|L_{+}|\psi> = <1,0|\sqrt{\frac{2}{5}}h|1,0>[/itex][itex]+ <1,1|\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}h|1,1>[/itex]
    As [itex]<1,1|1,1> = 1[/itex] and [itex]<1,0|1,0>=1[/itex]
    [itex]<\psi|L_{+}|\psi> = \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}}h[/itex][itex]+ \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}h[/itex]

I think I'm going wrong here somewhere. I think I'm using the wrong complex conjugate. Can someone verify if I am or not?

For Part 2:

I took [itex]\psi\left(\theta,\phi\right)[/itex] in Bra-Ket notation as before, i.e.,

[itex]|\psi> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|1,-1> + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{5}|1,0> + \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|1,1>[/itex]

And used [itex]L_{z}|lm>=mh|lm>[/itex] to try and obtain a value for [itex]L_{z}[/itex]. I used this on individual components as follows;

• [itex]L_{z}|1,-1> = \frac{-h}{\sqrt{5}}|1,-1>[/itex]
    • [itex]L_{z}|1,0> = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{5}(0)h|1, 0> = 0[/itex]
    • [itex]L_{z}|1,1> = \frac{h}{\sqrt{5}}|1,1>[/itex]

Then I multiplied by the complex conjugate, i.e.,

• [itex]<1,-1|L_{z}|1,-1> = <1,-1|\frac{-h}{\sqrt{5}}|1,-1>[/itex]
    • [itex]<1,1|L_{z}|1,1> = <1,1|\frac{h}{\sqrt{5}}|1,1>[/itex]

So, [itex]L_{z}=[/itex][itex]\frac{-h}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex][itex] + \frac{h}{\sqrt{5}} = 0[/itex]

Again, I'm not too sure if I'm right or wrong here. If someone could verify if I am or not, I'd really appreciate it. If I know where I'm going with [itex]L_{z}[/itex] I can continue on with finding the probabilities, which I understand how to do.

Thanks again in advance. Any help appreciated!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2
    Anyone ... please?

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Generally, your work on part 1 looks ok, but I think there are some minor errors. You wrote the wavefunction as
    First, I suspect that the numerical coefficient of the Y1,0 term should have a denominator of √5 rather than 5.

Also, I think you need to check the numerical factors in the following:
    Finally, when constructing ##<\psi|## you left out the numerical coefficients contained in ##|\psi>##

For part 2, you have found the "expectation value" of ##L_z##. But that won't give you much information about what values are possible for individual measurements of ##L_z##. The only possible value that you can get for a measurement of an operator in QM is one of the eigenvalues of that operator. Note that your wavefunction is a superposition of three eigenstates of ##L_z##. Each eigenstate corresponds to a specific eigenvalue of ##L_z##.

So, what are the possible values of a measurement of ##L_z## for your wavefunction?

The numerical coefficients of each of the terms in the wavefunction have something to do with the probability of measuring a particular eigenvalue of ##L_z##.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. Nov 19, 2012 #4
    Thanks TSny, that helped a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook