1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-Component of Angular Momentum.

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is in a state described by the wave function:

[tex]\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}(e^{i\phi} sin \theta + cos \theta) g(r)[/tex],

where

[tex]\int\limits_0^\infty dr r^{2} |g(r)|^{2} = 1[/tex]

and [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are the azimuth and polar angle, respectively.

OBS: The first spherical harmonics are:

[itex]Y_{0,0} = \frac{1}{sqrt{4 \pi}[/itex], [itex]Y_{1,0} = \frac{sqrt{3}}{sqrt{4 \pi} cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]Y_{1,\pm1} = \mp \frac{sqrt{3}}{sqrt{8 \pi}} e^{\pm i \phi} sin \theta[/itex]

a - What are the possibles results of a measurement of the z-componet [itex]L_{z}[/itex] of the angular momentum of the particle in this state?
    b - What is the probability of obtaining each of the possible results of part (a)?
    c - What is the expectation value of [itex]L_{z}[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]L_{z} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

[tex]L_{z} \Psi = m_{l} \hbar \Psi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I start by writing the wavefunction in terms of the spherical harmonics.

[tex]\Psi = (- \frac{\sqrt{2}{\sqrt{3}}} Y_{1,1} + \frac{1}{sqrt{3} Y_{1,0}) g(r)[/tex]

So, the possibles values for [itex]m_{l}[/itex] are [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]1[/itex]; and [itex]l_{z} = 0\hbar[/itex] and [itex]l_{z} = 1 \hbar[/itex]

Thus, the probabilities should be [itex]P = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] for [itex]l_{z} = 1 \hbar[/itex] and [itex]P = 1/3[/itex] for [itex]l_{z} = 0 \hbar[/itex].

For the expectation value, I should evaluate the integral:

[tex]<L_{z}> = \int \Psi L_{z} \Psi \,d^{3}r = \int \Psi \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial \phi} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \int Y_{1,1} (-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) Y_{1,1} \,d^{3}r + \frac{1}{3} \int Y_{1,0} (-i \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) Y_{1,0} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

The Y_{1,0} does not depend on the azimuth angle, so:

[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \int Y_{1,1} (-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) Y_{1,1} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \hbar \int_0^\pi sin^{2} \theta \,d\theta \int_0^{2 \pi} e^{2 i \phi} \,d\phi[/tex]

However, the result of this integral is zero.

Is that right or am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you forget to take the complex conjugate somewhere?

You can get the answer for ##<L_{z}>## without doing these integrations by just using the probabilities that you have found.

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    Yes. The integral is actually:

[tex]\int \Psi^{*} L_{z} \Psi \,d^{3}r = -i \hbar \int \Psi^{*} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial \phi} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

And,

[tex]Y_{l,m}^{*} = (-1)^{m}Y_{l,-m}[/tex]

[tex]<L_{z}> = P_{m_{l} = 1} (m_{l} \hbar) + P_{m_{l} = -1} (m_{l} \hbar)[/tex]
    [tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3}(1 \hbar) + \frac{1}{3} (0 \hbar)[/tex]
    [tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \hbar[/tex]

Is that it?

By solvind the integral, I get [itex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \pi^{2} \hbar[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. (Maybe a typographical error in your first line.)

It seems to come out ok for me. I don't think your original wave function ##\Psi## is normalized.
    (Your integrals over the spherical harmonics should not have ##d^3r## since you have presumably already integrated over ##r##.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted