1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - quick integral question.

1. Dec 26, 2013 #1
    ψnlm, ψnlm', ψnlm'' are energy eigenfunctions of hydrogen, and a function of r, θ and Ø.

(they all have the same n and l, but different m's)

I am given ψ(r,t=0)=ψnlm+ψnlm'+ψnlm'' .

I am after the probability density as a function of θ, and so need to integrate over r and Ø.

I have been introduced to ψnlm=Rnl(r)Θlm(θ) ϕm(Ø)

I am checking my understanding of integration tecniques

First of all, energy eigenfunctions are orthogonal when integrated over all space in r/θ/Ø.

So I integrate over Ø and attain |RnlΘlm|^2+|RnlΘlm'|^2+|RnlΘl m''|^2

Which is fine, so now I need to integrate over r.

∫ ( |RnlΘlm|^2+|RnlΘlm'|^2+|RnlΘl m''|^2 ) r^2 dr. *

But I know that Rnl(r),Θlm(θ), ϕm (Ø) are separately normalised.

So ∫ (Rnl)^2 r^2 dr =1 ( Here Rnl is real ! )

So from * I atttain :

|Θlm|^2+|Θlm'|^2+|Θlm''|^2

which gives me the wrong answer.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, that would be greatly appreciated !

The correct solution uses the orthogonal tecnique, and then continues explicitly , as a pose to using the normalization technique, so I suspect this may be were I am going wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Aside: you can place LaTeX expressions between double-dollar signs
    ##\renewcommand{\F}{\mathrm{\Phi}}
    \renewcommand{\T}{\mathrm{\Theta}}
    \renewcommand{\R}{\mathrm{R}}
    \renewcommand{\dr}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}r}}
    \renewcommand{\dth}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}\theta}}
    \renewcommand{\dph}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}\phi}}##
    $$\psi_{nlm}=\R_{nl}(r)\T_{lm}(\theta)\F_m(\phi)$$

You appear to have done:
    $$p(\theta)=\int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi |\Psi(\vec r, t=0)|^2 r^2\dph\dr$$ ... the question that immediately springs up is: where does the ##r^2## come from? The volume element has an ##r^2 \sin\theta## in it... I suspect you just need to be more rigorous with your definitions.

4. Dec 27, 2013 #3
    But I only want to integrate over r and ϕ as I am after a p(θ)?

5. Dec 27, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\renewcommand{\F}{\mathrm{\Phi}}
    \renewcommand{\T}{\mathrm{\Theta}}
    \renewcommand{\R}{\mathrm{R}}
    \renewcommand{\d}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}}}
    \renewcommand{\dr}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}r}}
    \renewcommand{\dth}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}\theta}}
    \renewcommand{\dph}{\mathrm{\;\mathrm{d}\phi}}##
    That's right.

Normally $$P_{vol} = \iiint_{vol}|\Psi(\vec r)|\d\tau$$ .... which is to say: the probability of finding the particle in a specified volume is the integral over that volume of the square-modulus of the position-wavefunction.

The volume is indicated by ##\tau## because ##V## is already used in context to represent a potential.
    ##\d\tau = r^2\sin\theta\dr\dth\dph## would be the volume element in spherical coordinates.
    (Where does that ##r^2## come from? Can you derive this volume element?)

You want to find ##p(\theta)##, which is not the same thing.
    Can you express ##p(\theta)## in words: what does this bunch of symbols mean?

You seem to be thinking that you should do the above volume integral except for the ##\theta## part ... but (a) that is not what you did above and (b) does that make sense? But I cannot actually tell what you are thinking ... if you don't answer questions, I cannot help you.

6. Dec 29, 2013 #5
    a) That is what I was thinking, and I am struggling to see how this is not what I did.
    b) I think I see now, this doesnt make any sense at all as r^2 is not a volume element.

I thought this part wouldn't be relevant to my issue, but due to the volume element I now see it was - the question asked to find the probablity density functin as a function of μ, where μ=cosθ, st θ terms no longer appear:

|dμ|=sinθ

D(μ)dμ = [itex]\int\int[/itex](ψnlm+ψnlm'+ψnlm'')*(ψnlm+ψnlm'+ψnlm'') r^2 dr dμ dø
    => D(μ) = [itex]^{2∏}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](ψnlm+ψnlm'+ψnlm'')*(ψnlm+ψnlm'+ψnlm'') r^2 dr dø.

which was my starting point.

7. Dec 29, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##r^2\,dr## has units of volume.

You can also write the volume element as ##d\tau = r^2\,dr\,d(\cos\theta)\,d\phi## where the limits for ##\cos\theta## run from -1 to 1.

You mean ##d\mu = \sin\theta\,d\theta##. You can't have a lone differential.

You said your answer was incorrect. How do you know? What are you supposed to get?

8. Dec 30, 2013 #7
    r[itex]^{2}[/itex] dr is not the relevant volume element - here derived from the Jacobian for spherical coordinates.

The solution I am trying to follow uses the method in post 5, where sin/cos [itex]\theta[/itex] and d[itex]\theta[/itex] terms no longer appear.

As in post 1 I thought it was a later step where I went wrong - the orthogonal or normalisation assumptions/knowledge application.

The solution attains a number as the answer, whereas I attain a function of [itex]\theta[/itex]. (the wave functions are all specified).

9. Dec 30, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No one said it was. You seemed to have implied that ##r^2## wasn't correct because it didn't have units of volume. I was pointing out the volume element includes ##dr## so that the units work out.

Did you provide us with the complete problem statement? I don't see how you can get just a number if ##l## isn't specified and you're not integrating over ##\theta##.

10. Dec 31, 2013 #9
    I saw that, and the reply was merely aimed to be a correction in recognition of your point.

All n,l,m are specified with the wave functions.

Here's the complete problem statement:

ψ[itex]_{210}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{2a^{3}\pi}}[/itex][itex]\frac{r}{4a}[/itex]exp[itex]^{\frac{-r}{2a}}[/itex]cos[itex]\theta[/itex]

ψ[itex]_{211}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{-1}{a^{3}\pi}}[/itex][itex]\frac{r}{8a}[/itex]exp[itex]^{\frac{-r}{2a}}[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]exp[itex]^{i\phi}[/itex]

ψ[itex]_{21-1}[/itex]=ψ[itex]^{*}[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]

ψ[itex]_{(\underline{r},t=0)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex](ψ[itex]_{210}[/itex]+ψ[itex]_{211}[/itex]+ψ[itex]_{21-1}[/itex])

The question then is: what is the probability density distribution as a function of μ = cos[itex]\theta[/itex]

11. Dec 31, 2013 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

OK, that makes more sense. That combination of spherical harmonics is spherically symmetric, so you should get a uniform distribution as a function of ##\cos \theta##. It seems to me the problem may be that you didn't break up the original wave functions properly into ##R_{nl}(r)##, ##\Theta_{lm}(\theta)##, and ##\Phi_m(\phi)##.

12. Jan 1, 2014 #11
    The only obvious mistake in breaking up the wave function that I can see is where the normalization constant should go.
    But regardless of how I do this, I attain a function of θ, rather than 1/2.

13. Jan 1, 2014 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, we can't tell what you're doing wrong if you don't show us your work.

14. Jan 2, 2014 #13
    D([itex]\mu[/itex])d[itex]\mu[/itex]=[itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{210}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{21-1}[/itex])*([itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{210}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{21-1}[/itex]) r[itex]^{2}[/itex]drd[itex]\mu[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex]

=> D([itex]\mu[/itex])= ([itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{210}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{21-1}[/itex])*([itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{210}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{21-1}[/itex]) r[itex]^{2}[/itex]drd[itex]\phi[/itex]

Integrate over [itex]\phi[/itex]:

[itex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{210}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{21-1}[/itex])*([itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{210}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{211}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{21-1}[/itex]) r[itex]^{2}[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex] = |R[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{10}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] + |R[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{11}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] + |R[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{1-1}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Integrate over r:

[itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] = |R[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{10}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] + |R[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{11}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] + |R[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{1-1}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] dr = [itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] |R[itex]_{21}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]|[itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{10}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] + |R[itex]_{21}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]|[itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{11}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] + |R[itex]_{21}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]|[itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{1-1}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] dr

= [itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] |[itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{10}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]+|[itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{11}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]+|[itex]\Theta[/itex][itex]_{1-1}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex]

(by normalisation of Rnl's)

= cos[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex] + sin[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex] + sin[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]

15. Jan 2, 2014 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're not getting the normalization of the ##\Theta_{lm}##'s correct.

Take ##\psi_{210}##. The constant at the front of
    $$\psi_{210} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{8\pi a_0^3}}\left(\frac{r}{2a_0}\right)e^{-r/2a_0}\cos\theta.$$ is a combination of the normalization constants for ##R_{21}##, ##\Theta_{10}##, and ##\Phi_{0}##. You need to separate them out correctly.

16. Jan 5, 2014 #15
    Thanks for your help, I can see were this is going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted