1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics: what does d<x>/dt mean physically?

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am reading the Griffths book on quantum mechanics. In the first chapter on Momentum (Sect 1.5) what does d<x>/dt mean in the physical sense?

2. Relevant equations

NA

3. The attempt at a solution

If the expectation value <x> is already determined by the schrodinger equation,

(i) thus <x> must be in the form of a number and hence d<x>/dt must equal to zero always. So calculating d<x>/dt is not relevant.

(ii) unless we are saying <x> changes in time but this will contradict my above statement..... since the expectation is fixed once the wave function of a particle is known)

(iii) If this rate of change is about when the initial measurement is made and <x> spikes to one of the eigenvalues and then 'smears off' into the original wave function form, then my question is (from a mathematics perspective) how does the equation allow for a change from a non continuous form (when ψ collapses and <x> spikes) and then into a continuous form (when ψ goes back to its original form and <x> becomes the expectation value of ALL possible eigenvalues)

Thanks very much for any assistance!

gennes77
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    [itex]\langle x \rangle[/itex] is necessarily not a function of position, but it can still be a function of time for time-dependent wavefunctions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook