1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Physics help/Electron trap problem

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular corral of widths Lx = L and Ly = 1.94L contains seven electrons. What multiple of h2/8mL2 gives the energy of the ground state of this system? Assume that the electrons do not interact with one another, and do not neglect spin.

2. Relevant equations
    Enx,ny = h^2/(8mL^2) (nx^2 + ny^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    used (nx/Lx)^2 + (ny/Ly)^2 to solve for the energy states resulting in
    ground state: 1.266
    1st excited: 2.063 (or 2.266?)
    2nd excited: 5.063

I feel this approach is incorrect because the 1st excited state could have two possible energy states...

obviously, after finding the states, I multiplied 2 electrons by ground, 4 by 1st, and 1 by second, but the sum jumps around the answer instead of giving me a correct answer.

I'm new to the forum posting, but you guys are always a big help for me so thanks for any input ahead of time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2
    state energy
    1,1 2
    1,2 5
    2,1 5
    2,2 8

So won't the energy be 2*2 + 5*2 + 5*2 + 8*1 or 32 multiples?

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Yes, there will be 32 multiples, but that would be assuming a square electron trap...I'm not sure how to figure out the multiples based on the trap being rectangular.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook