Quantum potential problem -- Particle confined in 1 dimension

In summary, a particle with mass m and electric charge e confined to move in one dimension along the x-axis experiences a potential of V(x) = -e^2/4*pi*ε*x when x≥0 and V(x) = infinity when x<0. By substituting this potential into the Schrödinger equation, it is shown that the wave function u(x) = C*x*exp(-αx) can be a satisfactory solution if the constant α is suitably chosen. The unique expression for α in terms of m, e, and other fundamental constants is determined to be E = -m*e^4/ 2(4*pi*ε*ħ)^2. This is found by equ
gabz220

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m and electric charge e is confined to move in one dimension along the x -axis. It experiences the following potential: V(x) = infinity when x<0, V(x) = -e^2/4*pi*ε*x when x≥0
For the region x ≥ 0 , by substituting in the Schrödinger equation, show that the wave function
u(x) = C*x*exp(-αx) can be a satisfactory solution of the Schrodinger equation so long as the constant α is suitably chosen. Determine the unique expression for α in terms of m , e and other fundamental constants. Note that C is a normalisation constant.then Show that the energy of the particle represented by u (x) is given by
E = -m*e^4/ 2(4*pi*ε*ħ)^2
This has me really stumped, can't show that the energy is equal to the equation above.

Homework Equations

Schrodinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

attempt:
d^2(u(x))/dx^2 = ((E - V(x))2m/ħ^2)u(x) rearranging the Schrodinger equation
and
d^2(u(x))/dx^2 = (α^2 - 2α/x)C*x*exp(-αx)
so
((E - V(x))2m/ħ^2) = (α^2 - 2α/x) equating coefficients
this is where i get stuck. Any help apreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gabz220 said:

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m and electric charge e is confined to move in one dimension along the x -axis. It experiences the following potential: V(x) = infinity when x<0, V(x) = -e^2/4*pi*ε*x when x≥0
For the region x ≥ 0 , by substituting in the Schrödinger equation, show that the wave function
u(x) = C*x*exp(-αx) can be a satisfactory solution of the Schrodinger equation so long as the constant α is suitably chosen. Determine the unique expression for α in terms of m , e and other fundamental constants. Note that C is a normalisation constant.then Show that the energy of the particle represented by u (x) is given by
E = -m*e^2/ 2(4*pi*ε*ħ)^2
This has me really stumped, can't show that the energy is equal to the equation above.

Homework Equations

Schrodinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

attempt:
d^2(u(x))/dx^2 = ((E - V(x))2m/ħ^2)u(x) rearranging the Schrodinger equation
and
d^2(u(x))/dx^2 = (xα^2 - 2α)C*x*exp(-αx) (***)
so
((E - V(x))2m/ħ^2) = (xα^2 - 2α) equating coefficients
this is where i get stuck. Any help apreciated

(***) You might want to check your differentiation.

I have, i can't see the mistake; i even wolfram alpha'd it and it gave me the same awnser

gabz220 said:
I have, i can't see the mistake; i even wolfram alpha'd it and it gave me the same awnser

There must be one term without a factor of x. ##f(x) = xg(x) \ \Rightarrow \ f''(x) = 2g'(x) + xg''(x)##

PeroK said:
There must be one term without a factor of x. ##f(x) = xg(x) \ \Rightarrow \ f''(x) = 2g'(x) + xg''(x)##
Your right, sorry, i copied it down wrong. I have been working with the correct derivative though and i still can't do it.
question now corrected

gabz220 said:
Your right, sorry, i copied it down wrong. I have been working with the correct derivative though and i still can't do it.
question now corrected

Hint: when are two polynomials equal?

You may also have mistyped the answer. I get ##E = \frac{-me^4}{2(4\pi \epsilon \hbar)^2}##

PeroK said:
You may also have mistyped the answer. I get ##E = \frac{-me^4}{2(4\pi \epsilon \hbar)^2}##
Yeah that was the answer.
thanks for the help

Hello gabz, :welcome:

Interesting exercise.
In the future, Could you use brackets in appropriate places when posting ? For example, I assume your potential is $$
V(x) = -{e^2\over 4 \pi \epsilon_0 \; x} \ \rm ?
$$

BvU said:
Hello gabz, :welcome:

Interesting exercise.
In the future, Could you use brackets in appropriate places when posting ? For example, I assume your potential is $$
V(x) = -{e^2\over 4 \pi \epsilon_0 \; x} \ \rm ?
$$
yeah, sorry about that. Made quite a few mistakes, ill be more careful next time

What is the quantum potential problem in relation to a particle confined in one dimension?

The quantum potential problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that arises when studying the behavior of a single particle confined to one dimension. It refers to the difficulty in accurately predicting the particle's position and momentum simultaneously, as described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

How does the quantum potential affect the behavior of a particle in a 1-dimensional space?

The quantum potential affects the behavior of a particle in a 1-dimensional space by causing it to exhibit wave-like properties, known as wave-particle duality. This means that the particle can exist in multiple positions at the same time, and its momentum cannot be precisely determined.

What is the role of the Schrödinger equation in understanding the quantum potential problem?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system, including particles confined to one dimension. It helps us understand the quantum potential problem by providing a mathematical framework for predicting the probability of a particle's position and momentum at a given time.

Can the quantum potential problem be solved?

No, the quantum potential problem cannot be solved in the traditional sense. This is because the uncertainty principle states that the more accurately we know a particle's position, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa. However, we can make predictions about a particle's behavior based on its wave function, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position.

What are some real-world applications of the quantum potential problem?

The quantum potential problem has many applications in modern technology, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It also helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles and contributes to advancements in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.