1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Theory derive EoM of action for a 'general' potential

1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Action attached:

everybodywantsapieceoftheaction.png

To find the EoM of ##\phi ## / ##\phi^* ##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Without deriving from first principles, using E-L equations I have:

## \partial_{u}\frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} =0 ## to get the EoM for ## \phi * ##

So I get:

## -\partial_u \partial^u \phi* +m^2\phi*+ \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi*} =0 ## (1)

MY QUESTION

Deriving this from first principles I am unsure how to work with the ## V(\phi \phi*) ## term to get the ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi*}## in the EoM .

I.e deriving EoM via ##S'=S+\delta S+O(\delta^2 S)## via plugging in ##\phi \to \phi + \delta \phi ##
    I get ## V(\phi \phi*) \to V(\phi^*\delta \phi + \phi \delta \phi^* ) ##

Now to get the EoM I want to factor out ##\delta \phi ## and ##\delta \phi^* ## from ##V(\phi*\delta \phi + \phi \delta \phi^* ) ## to get the EoM for ##\phi*## and ##\phi## respectively, arguing that the integrand multiplying the (e.g) ##\delta \phi ## must vanish since ##\delta \phi ## is arbitrary.

So using the equation (1) above, i.e. sort of cheating and not from first principles I suspect I should be able to show that,

## V(\phi*\delta \phi + \phi \delta \phi* ) = V(\phi*\delta \phi)+V(\phi \delta \phi* )= \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi*}\delta\phi + \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\delta\phi* ##

I am unsure how to show this explicitly. my thoughts are perhaps integration by parts, but i',m confused with this working with the implicit expression of ##V##

Any help greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2

thierrykauf

Gold Member

You need to be given a V(phi) to be able to go further. Often V(phi) = lambda phi^4 is chosen. Your approach is correct, but you need more information to get an explicit answer.

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3
    Why would you not just be able to do [itex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi} = V'(\phi^* \phi) \phi^*[/itex]? Also, shouldn't it be [itex] V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* + \phi^* \delta \phi + \delta \phi \delta \phi^*)-V(\phi \phi^*) =V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* + \phi^* \delta \phi + \delta \phi \delta \phi^*)-V( \phi \phi^* + \phi \delta \phi^* )+ V(\phi \phi^*+\phi \delta \phi^*)-V(\phi \phi^*) [/itex]?

5. Jul 19, 2017 #4

thierrykauf

Gold Member

All you write is correct, but I don't see how much farther you can go without knowing the exact form of the potential.

6. Jul 25, 2017 #5
    ahhh I see, yeh it should.
    and what is the purpose of including the two middle terms in the last equality?

7. Aug 3, 2017 #6
    This is the beginning of writing it out as two derivatives, the physicist's way. Simply divide and multiply each by [itex] \delta \phi [/itex] and [itex]\delta \phi^*[/itex] respectively and take the infinitesimal limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted