Quantum Tunneling Minimum Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of solving a problem related to a field the speaker has no knowledge about. They ask for help in finding the minimum energy required for an alpha particle to penetrate a gold nucleus. The conversation also includes equations and attempts at a solution, but the relevance of the information is unsure. The speaker also mentions being clueless about how the information can help and asks for clarification on how to use the size of the alpha particle.
fiontie
Good day, everyone!
Lately I faced the necessity of solving a problem from a field I know literally nothing about. So I just made an online research but without success. Any help (hints, good sources, relevant equations) would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Statement

Gold nucleus (Au Z=79 A=197) of radius R is bombarded by an alpha particle (He z=2 A=4) of radius r. Find the minimum energy of the alpha particle required to penetrate inside the nucleus.

Homework Equations

Would be great to know.

The Attempt at a Solution

(the following most likely has nothing to do with a solution and is not to be read :) )

A nucleus and a particle are repulsed by the Coulomb force when colliding, so the problem refers to overcoming the Coulomb barrier. Its approximate height for an arbitrary nucleus is

[itex] B = \frac{Zz}{A^{\frac{1}{3}}} [/itex]

What I am missing here is a "minimum energy required to penetrate". In quantum mechanics, the particle with energy far lower than a barrier can still penetrate, isn't it just a matter of possibility? At what point does the penetration become impossible?

Thus, we can find the possibility of overcoming our barrier (which is its transparency coefficient [itex]D[/itex]). Given the formula for a rectangular barrier

[itex] D = \exp{\left(-\frac{2}{\hbar} d \sqrt{2m(U-E)}\right)} [/itex]

where [itex]d[/itex] is a barrier width, [itex]U[/itex] is a barrier height and [itex]E[/itex] is a particle energy, we can get one for an arbitrary barrier by breaking it into thin rectangular stripes and integrating over them:

[itex] D = \exp{\left(-\frac{2}{\hbar} \int_{x_1}^{x_2} dx \, \sqrt{2m(U-E)} \right)} [/itex]

Now let's apply this formula to our case. The potential energy of a particle on a distance [itex]r \geq R[/itex] is defined by the energy of a Coulomb interaction (I just stumbled across this formula and am not sure where it comes from):

[itex] U(r) = E_{C} \frac{R}{r} [/itex]
[itex] E_0 = m_\alpha c^2[/itex] is a rest energy of an alpha particle

The barrier boundaries are [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]r_\alpha[/itex], where [itex]r_\alpha = R\frac{E_C}{E_\alpha}[/itex] is a distance where the energy of a particle becomes equal to the energy of a Coulomb repulsion.

So finally,

[itex] D = \exp{\left(-\frac{2}{\hbar c} \sqrt{2 E_0} \int_{R}^{r_\alpha} dr \, \sqrt{E_{C} \frac{R}{r} - E_\alpha} \right)} [/itex]

I'm actually clueless how this can help.
And I'm also not sure how to make use of an alpha particle size.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, admittedly I stopped reading after the first equation, as I think the rest may be irrelevant (what level of study are you at?).

I'd see this as a coulomb repulsion problem. Your statement: 'In quantum mechanics, the particle with energy far lower than a barrier can still penetrate, isn't it just a matter of possibility?' I assume is talking about quantum tunnelling, not really applicable in this case. Also QM is a game of probabilities, so try not to go down that route.

1. What is quantum tunneling minimum energy?

Quantum tunneling minimum energy is the energy required for a particle to tunnel through a potential barrier, which is a phenomenon that occurs in the realm of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum tunneling minimum energy work?

Quantum tunneling minimum energy is based on the principle that particles can behave as both waves and particles. This means that in quantum mechanics, particles have the ability to pass through potential barriers that would normally be impossible for them to overcome based on their energy levels.

3. What are the applications of quantum tunneling minimum energy?

Quantum tunneling minimum energy has various applications in fields such as electronics, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. It is used to explain phenomena such as radioactive decay and electron transport in semiconductors.

4. How is quantum tunneling minimum energy calculated?

The calculation of quantum tunneling minimum energy involves solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. This equation takes into account the potential barrier and the energy level of the particle.

5. Can quantum tunneling minimum energy be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum tunneling minimum energy is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. However, its effects can be seen in certain technologies, such as scanning tunneling microscopes, which use quantum tunneling to create images at the atomic level.