Quantum Tunneling - some silly thoughts

In summary, according to quantum mechanics, the probability of one tunneling through a solid wall is extremely small. Even if the distance is only a few angstroms, the probability of all particles tunneling at the same time is practically zero. Additionally, the possibility of atoms tunneling in general is unlikely due to their mass. While there is a small probability of anything occurring, this is meaningless when considering quantum effects. At the microscopic level, interactions between a finger and a wall are negligible and quantum effects like tunneling are not relevant.
annatar
From what I read, there is an extremely small probability of one going through a solid wall, according to QM. The chance is so small you might have wait a few lifetimes, or more of the universe to observe it.

But how about going very shallowly into the wall?
Let's say a few angstroms (Å).
Would the possibility be much higher?

Hmm...also what if my fingers indeed successfully tunneled into a wall (very shallowly)?
Would my atoms somehow mingle with those of the wall's?

Thanks,,,

Physics news on Phys.org
First: The probability of your finger, body, or anything tunneling anywhere through anything is so astronomically small, for all intents and purposes it is equal to zero. Even if the individual probabilities of each particle tunneling is within the penetration distance, the probability of all your particles doing so at the same time is, like I said, zero. Even if the distance is only a few angstroms.

I'm not sure how to model a wall, the only thing that comes to mind is a potential barrier of some height, which your finger (or body) is below. Not sure how to model the internal structure of a wall (solid) though, so it's difficult for me to say what would happen if matter did tunnel into (not through) it.

Well, it would be "is it possible for a few atoms of my finger tips to quantum tunnel out of the potential wells holding them into atoms, and travel in between the atoms of the wall"

First, possible, highly unlikely, because if it was likely, molecules would routinely quantum tunnel apart. Also, atoms in general do not tunnel, they're too massive to have a reasonable chance.

If you want to talk about very small probabilities, there is a very small probability of absolutely anything occurring. There's a small probability that I will meet you on the street tomorrow and punch you in the stomach, for example. Of course, we both know that this won't happen (or hope it won't, in your case.) Very small probabilities are meaningless.

Is it possible that some atoms of your finger could "tunnel" into the wall? This is a much more interesting question. Actually, however, the question you are asking is not really quantum mechanically relevant. Consider the elements comprising your skin, for example. It is well known that humans shed a huge amount of skin, constantly, although this is difficult to witness (except for extremely bad dandruff, which you can spot easily.) When you touch the wall, probably bits of your skin are touching the surface and staying behind. This is already examining the situation at an extremely microscopic level. If you want to consider the quantum level, you would be talking about a negligible interaction between your finger and the wall. For example, at the interface between your finger and the wall, if you keep zooming in closer and closer, you will find mostly empty space. Once you are looking close enough at the interface to see particles, the picture will be extremely disjoint from anything else around it. Nothing especially interesting would be going on, because the atoms are too far apart, and they are not very energetic. Quantum effects like tunneling are basically irrelevant in this situation, and I would suspect that you do not see any of the phenomenon occurring.

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to do so classically. It is a result of the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does quantum tunneling work?

Quantum tunneling occurs when a particle has a small probability of crossing a potential barrier due to its wave-like nature. This probability is determined by the particle's energy and the height and width of the barrier. The higher the energy and the thinner the barrier, the higher the probability of tunneling.

3. Can quantum tunneling be observed in everyday life?

Yes, quantum tunneling is a common phenomenon and can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, it is the reason why alpha particles can escape from the nucleus of an atom, and why some types of transistors work in electronic devices.

4. What are the practical applications of quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling has many practical applications in fields such as electronics, microscopy, and computing. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions and radioactive decay.

5. What are some current research areas related to quantum tunneling?

Scientists are currently researching ways to control and manipulate quantum tunneling to develop new technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors. They are also exploring the role of quantum tunneling in biological processes and its potential for use in medical treatments.