Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line

In summary, the open-ended quarter-wavelength, air-spaced, parallel-wire transmission line is in resonance with an oscillator when its length is 0.25 m. When a capacitance of 1 pF is added, the length of the line must be reduced to 0.125 m to maintain resonance. This information can be used to find the characteristic impedance of the line, which is approximately 530 *Ohms. The resonance condition indicates that the input impedance of the line is zero, and the general equation for quarter wavelength lines can be used to solve for the characteristic impedance.
nathangrand
An open-ended quarter-wavelength, air-spaced, parallel-wire transmission line is found to
be in resonance with an oscillator when its length is 0.25 m. When a capacitance of 1 pF
is connected across the open end, it is found that the length of the line must be reduced
to 0.125 m to obtain resonance. Show that the characteristic impedance of the line is
approximately 530 *Ohms
[Remember that, using V proportional to exp(i(kz-wt)) the impedance of a capacitor is i/wc]

The main problem here is I don't really understand the question! Can someone explain what it actually means/wants me to do? It's the found to be in resonance part that I don't get - does it mean is impedance matched to?

I think that the two circumstances will give me two equations which should be easier enough to manipulate to find the characteristic impedance.

For a quarter wavelength line Zin/Z = Z/Zt where Zin is the input impedance, Z the characteristic impedance and Zt the terminating impedance.

For an open circuited line Zin/Z = -jcot(ka) where j is the imaginary unit, and a the length of the line

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Dunno if you're still looking for an answer, but hopefully this will be useful to someone - I had exactly the same question to solve...
I think the resonance bit just means they are impedance matched.

From Zin/Z = -jcot(ka) you can work out that Zin must be zero (since cot ka=0). We also know that since a quarter wavelength is 0.25m, the wavelength must be 1m.

Remember that when the capacitor is added the waveguide is shortened so is no longer a quarter-wavelength, and therefore the quarter wavelength equations don't apply any more. The general equation Zin/Z = (Zt cos(ka) + jZ sin(ka)) / (Z cos (ka) + jZt sin(ka)) is useful (remembering that a is different now!).

What is a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line?

A Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line is a type of transmission line used to carry radio frequency (RF) signals. It is made of a coaxial cable or parallel wire, and its length is equal to one quarter of the wavelength of the signal it is carrying.

How does a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line work?

A Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line works by utilizing the principle of resonance. When the length of the transmission line is equal to one quarter of the wavelength of the signal, the reflected waves from the load are in phase with the incident waves, resulting in maximum signal transfer and minimum loss.

What are the advantages of using a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line?

The advantages of using a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line include low signal loss, high transmission efficiency, and minimal interference. It also allows for easy impedance matching and can be used in various applications, such as antennas, filters, and impedance transformers.

What are the limitations of a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line?

The limitations of a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line include the need for precise length matching, which can be challenging at higher frequencies. It also requires a specific load impedance for optimal performance and may not be suitable for high-power applications due to its small size.

How is a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line different from other types of transmission lines?

A Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line differs from other types of transmission lines in terms of its length and the principle used for signal transfer. Unlike other transmission lines that are designed for specific purposes, a Quarter Wavelength Transmission Line can be used for various applications and is primarily used for impedance matching and signal transfer in radio frequency systems.