Impedance matching a purely resistive load

In summary: The transformed admittance equation will be Y1 = Y0 - jB and the terminating resistance will be βl = R + jS, where R and S are the real and imaginary parts of Y1.
timnswede

Homework Statement

A 25-Ω antenna is connected to a 75-Ω lossless transmission line. Reflections back toward the generator can be eliminated by placing a shunt reactance Z at a distance l from the load (Fig. 1). Determine the values of Z and l.
Cdw66BS.png

Homework Equations

Z(l)=Zo((ZL+jZotan(Bl))/(Zo+jZLtan(Bl))

The Attempt at a Solution

My first intuition was to put a transmission line of length lambda/4 since the load impedance is just resistive, but the question asks for reactance which has me a bit stumped. I used a Smith chart and normalized the load to .33 ohms and found the conductance to be 3. Since I want a real part 1, I found the intersection of the constant vswr circle and the conductance equal to 1 circle. That point was 1+j1.15 and then I found the unnormalized reactance to be 65.2 ohms. I also got the length of l to be .083 lambda.

It's probably confusing to follow what I did on the Smith chart, but I just did the lumped element impedance matching. Apparently this is the right answer, but I'm having a hard time understanding why. The point of impedance matching is so that what the input impedance looks like (for this problem) at point B is 75 ohms. How can putting a complex component in shunt cause it to be 75 ohms? Is it because the transmission line from B to A is complex and it cancels that? I feel like I'm missing something fundamental.

Physics news on Phys.org
I seem to obtain different figures to you. I think you are have an Impedance Smith Chart but you are using it to transform Admittances. This is my attempt - I may be wrong but no one has answered yet.
The 25 Ohm load can be entered on the chart as 0.33, then rotate clockwise (towards generator) until you hit the R=1 circle. This gives a line length of about 0.17 Lambda and a series reactance of about +j1.2. As we now want to connect a shunt capacitor, we need the equivalent admittance value. So cross to the diametrically opposite point and we obtain an admittance of 0.4-j0.5. So a capacitor having a susceptance of +j0.5 will cancel this out. Such a capacitor has an X of 2 and an actual reactance of 150 Ohms.
The reason the circuit works is that the line AB is operated with standing waves, so the impedance will rise and fall with distance. But at positions other than the nodes and antinodes, there is always a reactive component which we have to cancel out if we wish to obtain a resistive match at that point. It is of no consequence that the conductance (or shunt resistance) at point B is an odd value as we never use this in this circuit as we use the series value.
It is also worth mentioning that if we convert between series R and X into shunt R and X, both values change, not just the reactance. This is because if you place an R and an X in a black box, from the outside it must always exhibit the same Q, whether they are connected in series or parallel, so both values change. For parallel connection, Q = R/X and for series connection, Q = X/R.

Assume Z = jX or Y = 1/Z = jB. Then the transformed admittance will have to look like Y1 = Y0 - jB to terminate the xmsn line in its characteristic impedance of 75Ω, where Y0 = 1/Z0.

So solve Y1 for βl and B in terms of your "relevant equation" except I suggest working with Y's instead of Z's so your equation changes to an equivalent admittance equation.
Setting real and imaginary parts of that equation = Y0 - jB gives you the needed tan(βl) and B.
The math is mostly changing a fraction (a+jb)/(c+jd) to the form e + jf which is not too bad.
I'm willing to compare results if you post your work & results.
(I believe the phase velocity v is needed in adition to λ, or the frequency f = v/λ. You can assume v = c/2 or whatever.)

I now agree with your working! It is OK to do transmission line transformations with the ordinary chart, and you are right to start out with admittance as we will want to add a shunt reactance at point B.

1. What is impedance matching?

Impedance matching is the process of adjusting the impedance of a load to match the impedance of a source in order to maximize power transfer.

2. What is a purely resistive load?

A purely resistive load is a load that only has resistance and does not have any reactance, such as capacitance or inductance. This means that the impedance of the load is equal to its resistance.

3. Why is impedance matching important for a purely resistive load?

Impedance matching is important for a purely resistive load because it allows for maximum power transfer from the source to the load. If the load and source have different impedances, some of the power will be reflected back to the source, resulting in decreased efficiency.

4. How is impedance matching achieved for a purely resistive load?

Impedance matching for a purely resistive load can be achieved by using a matching network or by adjusting the source or load impedance to match each other. A matching network is a combination of components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that are used to adjust the impedance of the load to match the source. Alternatively, the source or load impedance can be adjusted by changing the physical properties or dimensions of the components.

5. What are the consequences of not impedance matching a purely resistive load?

If a purely resistive load is not impedance matched, there will be a mismatch between the source and load impedances, resulting in some of the power being reflected back to the source. This can lead to decreased efficiency and potentially damage to the source or load components. In extreme cases, the mismatch can cause standing waves and create unwanted interference in the circuit.