Queries on Damped Harmonic Motion

In summary, SHM can be described by equations for position, velocity, and acceleration in terms of amplitude, angular frequency, and phase. The maximum acceleration for a SHM system is Aω^2. However, for damped harmonic motion, the maximum acceleration is not equal to (A')(ω')^2, as the differentiation of the function results in a complex function. This can be better understood using complex numbers, where the real parts of the equations account for the damping factor.
LameGeek
So we know that SHM can be described as:
x(t) = Acos(ωt + ϕ)
v(t) = -Aω sin(ωt + ϕ)
a(t) = -Aω^2 cos(ωt + ϕ)

it can be easily said that the max acceleration (in terms of magnitude) a SHM system can achieve is Aω^2

In Damped Harmonic Motion we know that:
x(t) = (A)(e^(-bt/2m))cos(ωt + ϕ)

given that:
A' = (A)(e^(-bt/2m))
ω' = sqrt( (ω^2) - (b/2m)^2 )

Is it true that the max acceleration at any given time is (A')(ω')^2?

My intuition tells me that the above statement is not true =/
because differentiating the function x(t) = (A)(e^(-bt/2m))cos(ωt + ϕ) gives me a complex function (which has sine & cosine in it) & it doesn't really give me anything close to the (A')(ω')^2 term

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is easier using complex numbers.

For damped motion, ##x(t)## = the real part of ##Ae^{(-s + i\omega')t}## where ##s## is your ##b/2m##. Note, ##A## is a complex constant (to account for your phase angle ##\varphi##) and of course ##e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta + i\sin\theta##.

So ##a(t)## = the real part of ##(-s + i\omega')^2 x(t)##

Your intuition is right, but if the damping is small, ##(-s + i\omega')^2## is close to ##-\omega^2##.

Likes 1 person
I'm not really familiar with complex numbers (other than i^2 = -1) but your explanation does makes some sense to me. Thank You! =)

1. What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which the amplitude of the motion decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force. This force can be caused by factors such as friction, air resistance, or electrical resistance.

2. How is damped harmonic motion different from simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, there is no damping force present and the motion continues indefinitely with a constant amplitude. In damped harmonic motion, the amplitude decreases over time and the motion eventually comes to a stop.

3. What are the equations used to describe damped harmonic motion?

The equations used to describe damped harmonic motion are the equation of motion, which takes into account the mass, spring constant, damping coefficient, and displacement; and the equation for the damping force, which is proportional to the velocity of the object.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect damped harmonic motion?

The damping coefficient determines the strength of the damping force and therefore, the rate at which the amplitude of the motion decreases. A higher damping coefficient will result in a faster decrease in amplitude and a shorter time for the motion to come to a stop.

5. What are some real-life examples of damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion can be observed in many real-life systems, such as a swinging pendulum with air resistance, a car's suspension system, or a guitar string vibrating with friction from the air. It is also commonly seen in electrical circuits and mechanical systems with friction.