1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quesitons about scattering of light

1. Aug 6, 2015 #1

kelvin490

Gold Member

I have several questions about the scattering of light.

Air molecules scatter sunlight and makes the sky blue, many books say that the air molecules are oscillated by E field and so they becomes sources of EM wave. Is it because the air molecules have charges? I wonder if air molecules or molecules of other medium (e.g. water) are completely neutral (i.e. no excess charges at all), will they still be oscillated by the E field and scatter light?

Air molecules can be oscillated by E field and re-radiate EM waves in different directions. However, if light is shined to a conductor the E field oscillate the free charges but the effect is to reflect the light or dissipated the energy by electrical resistance. Why there is such a difference?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2
    Yes, most of the air molecules are neutral. However the electric field will act on their electrons (mainly, due to their lower mass) and slightly distort the equilibrium configuration, resulting in a temporary (oscillating) dipole. This oscillating dipole radiates EM waves. This is a simplified model, of course.
    The effect on metals is much stronger because the electrons are "free" and not bound to specific ion cores.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook