Question about 3rd law and normal force

In summary: So the force of gravity is still acting on the coin, pulling it down, but the force of air resistance is also acting on it, pushing it up. In summary, the force on the coin at its highest point is a combination of the force of gravity pulling it down and the force of air resistance pushing it up.
kmikias
Hi,guys ...i have a question in my mind always confused me just like Newton 3rd law but this one is different.

here is my question.
I always confuse with the normal force and weight force which is mass * gravity.

for example let's say a coin tossed straight upward,and reaches its highest point and falls back down again.

1.here is my question when the coin is moving upward after it released. is it the force down or up?....because i am confuse with the normal force and the weight force that's pulls the coin down.I know the normal force always be up and weight force be down.but how do we know the force is up and down. and also how do we know if it is decreasing and increasing.

2. my second question how about if the coin at highest point . is the force will be down or up ..but my guess is 0 because the acceleration will be zero.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

"here is my question when the coin is moving upward after it released. is it the force down or up?....because i am confuse with the normal force and the weight force that's pulls the coin down.I know the normal force always be up and weight force be down."

First, the 'normal force' is only present on an object when the object is supported (as in resting on the floor) and is the force which prevents the force of gravity from accelerating the object down. It is also referred to as the 'support force'.

So the coin tossed in the air has no normal force acting on it, only the force of gravity, which always acts downward.

"my second question how about if the coin at highest point . is the force will be down or up ..but my guess is 0 because the acceleration will be zero."

Love this question. Think of it this way: acceleration the rate of change of velocity. If the rate of change of velocity (acceleration) is zero, then when the coin reaches the highest point (where its velocity is instantaneously zero), its velocity stops changing, which means it would simply stay there and not start moving downward. The acceleration cannot be 0 at the highest point, even if the velocity is.

Hi there,

Your question about the normal force and weight force is a common one, and it's important to understand the difference between the two. The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of the coin being tossed upward, the action is the force exerted by your hand on the coin, and the reaction is the force exerted by the coin on your hand. This is why you feel a slight pushback when you toss the coin.

Now, let's break down the forces acting on the coin as it moves upward and reaches its highest point. The force of gravity is acting downward on the coin, and this is known as the weight force. The normal force, on the other hand, is the force exerted by the surface the coin is on (in this case, your hand) to support the weight of the coin. So, when the coin is moving upward, the force of gravity is still acting downward, but the normal force is acting upward to balance it out.

At the highest point, the coin has stopped moving and is momentarily at rest. This is because the force of gravity and the normal force are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of 0. This is also why the acceleration is 0 at this point.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of normal force and weight force for you. It's important to remember that they are two different forces, with the normal force always acting perpendicular to the surface the object is on. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep exploring and learning!

1. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as Newton's third law, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does the third law apply to normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. According to the third law, the object will exert an equal and opposite force on the surface. This means that the normal force is always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the object on the surface.

3. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of an object. The normal force is a reactive force that balances out the weight of an object, so it can never be greater than the weight itself.

4. Does the third law only apply to objects in contact?

The third law applies to all objects, whether they are in contact or not. Even if two objects are not physically touching, they can still exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

5. How is the third law related to conservation of momentum?

The third law is closely related to the principle of conservation of momentum. Since the third law states that forces always occur in pairs, the total momentum of a system will always remain constant. This means that if one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will experience an equal and opposite force, but the total momentum of the system will remain unchanged.