Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About an Application of Implicit Function Theorem

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I do economics but am very poor at Math. I had a specific and perhaps silly question about the implicit function theorem, but will be grateful for an urgent response.

Suppose we have a function, U(x, y).
    x and another variable z are linearly related so the function can also be specified as U(z,y) by substituting z for x.

It can be shown by using the implicit function theorem that y = f(x), and also separately that y = g(z) such that U(x,y)=0 and U(z,y)= 0 respectively.

Is it them possible to conclude that y = h(x,z) exists ?

Thank you in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey nonmathtype and welcome to the forums.

You haven't specified what the function h is not explicitly or implicitly as a relationship to your other functions. What properties of h did you have in mind?

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    Hi Chiro, thank you so much for your response.

Actually I am not interested in any specific functional form or properties of h. All I am looking for is its existence.

So it is clear that both f and g will exist by the implicit function theorem as mentioned above (because the partial derivative of U with respect to y is not zero, and U is continuously differentiable by assumption. These are both functions with a single argument (single variable functions) i.e y = f(x) and y = g(z).

Does this imply that a function that contains both x and z in the domain will exist as well i.e y = h(x,z) ?

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

You should be able to do that both for explicit and implicit representations of the functions.

For example if you can't get z = r(x) (i.e. an explicit function of x) then provided you have a function for y = f(x) and y = g(z), then you can add them together and divide by 2 to get y = 1/2(f(x) + g(z)) = h(x,z).

I'm assuming your assumptions where you have existence of y = f(x) and y = g(z) and I'm assuming they point to the same variable y.

Also since you didn't mention the functional form, I assume you just want to find any function with h(z,x) so the one provided which is a linear combination of the two solutions does satisfy the requirement at least.

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5
    Thanks a lot chiro, it is much appreciated :-) Yes your assumptions about what I was trying to say are correct...both y = f(x) and y = g(z) point to the same y.

I did not realize that it could be so obvious ! I was worried regarding the fact that the domain of both f and g is R1, whereas the domain of the proposed function h is R2. So I did not think that the existence of h on the basis of existence of f and g would follow in such a straightforward way.

Once again, thanks a lot !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook