1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about calculating area and volume

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    When calculating the volume of say y = x^3 rotated around the y axis from -2<=x<=2 I am the calculating a space occupied by a 3D figure... but when Im calculating the area between say y = x^3 and y=(-x)^3 from 0<= y <=8 what exactly is this area? is it surface area???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It's the sum of the areas of all those whisker-thin rectangles, each of height equal to the vertical distance between the curves, viz, x^3 - (-x)^3, and of horizontal width equal to dx or Δx. So it's an area on the x-y plane, a flat area. You could call it a surface area, if you wish, but then all areas could be considered surface areas. couldn't they?

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, there is no "surface" are because this is not a three dimensional problem. It is simply area in the xy-plane.

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4
    I guess ill figure out the importance of calculating area later because right now I dont see it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook