Calculating 3D Cylinder Volumes & Areas With Constants

In summary: I am missing here?In summary, the homework statement is that a cylinder x2 + y2 ≤ r2 has a cross section that is a rectangle in the yz plane. The volume of the cylinder is found by taking the area of the side of the rectangle with x2+y2=r2.
songoku

Homework Statement

Let r be a positive constant. Consider the cylinder x2 + y2 ≤ r2, and let C be the part of the cylinder that satisfies
0 ≤ z ≤ y.
(1) Consider the cross section of C by the plane x = t (−r ≤ t ≤ r), and express its area in terms of r, t.
(2) Calculate the volume of C, and express it in terms of r.
(3) Let a be the length of the arc along the base circle of C from the point (r, 0, 0) to the point (r cos θ, r sin θ, 0)
(0 ≤ θ ≤ π). Let b be the length of the line segment from the point (r cos θ, r sin θ, 0) to
the point (r cos θ, r sin θ, r sin θ). Express a and b in terms of r, θ.
(4) Calculate the area of the side of C with x2+y2 = r2, and express it in terms of r.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the x - axis horizontal, y - axis vertical and z - axis in / out of page. I imagine there is circle on xy plane with radius r then it extends out of page (I take out of page as z+) to form 3 D cylinder.

(1) I image there is rectangular plane that cuts the cylinder and the shape of the cross section is rectangle. The length of the triangle is 2y and the width is z. Taking z = y, the area will be 2y2 = 2 (r2 - x2) = 2 (r2 - t2)
But the answer is 1/2 (r2 - t2)

(2) The volume of cylinder = base area x height = πr2 . z and by taking z = y = r I get πr3 but the answer is 2/3 r3

(3) I get this part

(4) I am not sure what "area of side of C" is. Is it surface area of the circular part of cylinder?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
I image there is rectangular plane that cuts the cylinder and the shape of the cross section is rectangle
Nope. Make a sketch.

BvU said:
Nope. Make a sketch.
I did. I made vertical line that cuts x - axis then stretched it in z - axis and made the plane cut the cylinder and the cross section of the intersection looked like rectangle. Or maybe I don't know which part called "cross - section"

The plane ##z=y## is a ##45^\circ## plane that cuts through your cylinder at a slant. The portion described makes a wedge and you want cross sections parallel to the ##zy## plane because the plane ##x=t## for fixed ##t## is parallel to the ##zy## plane.

songoku said:
Consider the cylinder x2 + y2 ≤ r2, and let C be the part of the cylinder that satisfies
0 ≤ z ≤ y.
(1) Consider the cross section of C by the plane x = t (−r ≤ t ≤ r), and express its area in terms of r, t.

Simple case: x = 0. So -1 ≤ y ≤ 1. In the yz plane 0 ≤ z ≤ y is a triangle.

songoku said:
I did. I made vertical line that cuts x - axis then stretched it in z - axis and made the plane cut the cylinder and the cross section of the intersection looked like rectangle. Or maybe I don't know which part called "cross - section"
What about y ?

I think I am missing something here because I feel I can't really grasp the hint given.

Let me start from the basic again:
1. Let the x - axis horizontal, y - axis vertical and z - axis in / out of page. I imagine there is circle on xy plane with radius r then it extends out of page (I take out of page as z+) to form 3 D cylinder. Is this correct?

2. Plane x = t is like the shape of a piece of paper hold vertically with the face of paper facing x - axis (I mean x - axis is the normal of the plane). Is this correct?

Thanks

Yes

"Consider the cross section of C by plane x = t" means plane x = t cuts the cylinder?

And the intersection will be rectangle?

yes. Infinitely extending in the + and -z direction.

Now what about the part of the cylinder that satisfies 0 ≤ z ≤ y ?

Ahh I think I am starting to see the direction of the hint.

The intersection of plane x = t and C is in the shape of right angle triangle with its base and height equal to y so the area will be 1/2 y2 = 1/2 (r2 - t2). Is this correct?

For (2), should I use integration to find the volume?
[tex]\int_{0}^{r} y^{2} dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{0}^{r} (r^{2} - x^{2} dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2r^{3}}{3}[/tex]

Or maybe there is non - calculus way?

For (4), does the question ask to find the surface area of C?

Thanks

you are on the right track! is it luck or did you deal with the 1/2 by integrating from 0 to r instead of from -r to r ?

for 4: only what is on the surface of the cylinder

BvU said:
you are on the right track! is it luck or did you deal with the 1/2 by integrating from 0 to r instead of from -r to r ?
Yes I deal with it as you say
for 4: only what is on the surface of the cylinder
In my mind, I will get the area by integrating z dx and because z = y, it is the same as integrating (r2 - x2) dx but I get different answer from the answer key. So it is not correct integrating z dx to find the surface area?

songoku said:
Yes I deal with it as you say

In my mind, I will get the area by integrating z dx and because z = y, it is the same as integrating (r2 - x2) dx but I get different answer from the answer key. So it is not correct integrating z dx to find the surface area?
No, that is not correct. Your exercise is trying to get you to work with ##\theta## and ##z## variables (cylindrical coordinates). What is the element of length along the circle in the ##xy## plane? What is the element of length in the ##z## direction? You can use them to build the surface area element ##dS##. You haven't indicated what you have studied, but if you have studied parametric representations of surface areas you can get ##dS## from that too.

Thread moved. @songoku, please post problems that involve integrals in the Calculus & Beyond section.

Sorry for really late reply

Mark44 said:
Thread moved. @songoku, please post problems that involve integrals in the Calculus & Beyond section.
I am really sorry. I don't know this question involves integration. Thanks a lot for the help

LCKurtz said:
No, that is not correct. Your exercise is trying to get you to work with ##\theta## and ##z## variables (cylindrical coordinates). What is the element of length along the circle in the ##xy## plane? What is the element of length in the ##z## direction? You can use them to build the surface area element ##dS##. You haven't indicated what you have studied, but if you have studied parametric representations of surface areas you can get ##dS## from that too.
I'll try to think about your hint then replying back.

Thanks

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a 3D cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a 3D cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is the constant pi, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do I find the area of the base of a 3D cylinder?

The area of the base of a 3D cylinder is found by using the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the base. This is the same formula used to find the area of a circle.

Do I need to know the height of the cylinder to calculate its volume?

Yes, the height of the cylinder is required to calculate its volume. Without the height, you cannot determine the amount of space within the cylinder.

Is the constant pi always the same number?

Yes, the constant pi is always the same number, approximately 3.14. It is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.

Can I use different units of measurement when calculating the volume and area of a 3D cylinder?

Yes, you can use any units of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, if the radius is measured in inches, the height should also be measured in inches. The resulting volume will be in cubic inches and the resulting area will be in square inches.