Question about college major and minor

In summary, the individual is considering taking Physics as a major and Astrophysics as a minor at Drexel University. They are interested in learning about the Universe and hope to specialize in astrophysics. They believe that taking pure Physics as a major will offer a more diverse knowledge base compared to just studying Astrophysics. However, they are unsure if it is possible to take Astrophysics as a minor with a major in Physics. It is recommended that they check with their advisor and see if there is room to take Astrophysics classes as electives. Many universities suggest studying Physics as a major and Astronomy as a minor for undergrad in order to gain a strong understanding of both subjects for potential graduate programs.
karan4496
Im planning to attend Drexel University next year and was wondering if taking Physics as a major and Astrophysics as a minor was a good choice.

Im very interested in learning about the Universe and astronomy with the application of mathematics and computer programming. I hope to specialize myself in astrophysics at some point in time so...will this setup help with that?

I feel that taking pure Physics as a major will diversify my knowledge in the field, something that simply doing Astrophysics with its requirements would not offer. What are your suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
May want to check on whether you can take astrophysics as a minor if your major is Physics. Where I go they highly discourage it (advisor wouldn't allow it) since other than a few labs and upper level requirements both majors and minors were the same.

Doesn't mean you can't take astro classes if there is room though.

Most universities that don't have an astrophysics/astronomy major will usually recommend that you go physics as a major and then astronomy as a minor for undergrad. This is how my university works, and I THINK it's how others work for the most part. Doing that, you should gain a deep enough understanding of both subjects to apply it to a graduate program in either of the above mentioned areas.

1. What is the difference between a major and a minor in college?

A major is a specific subject or field of study that a student focuses on and completes all required coursework in order to receive a degree. A minor is a secondary area of study that a student can choose to supplement their major with, but is not required for graduation.

2. Can I have more than one major or minor?

Yes, many colleges and universities allow students to have multiple majors and minors. However, keep in mind that this may require additional coursework and may extend the time it takes to graduate.

3. How do I choose a major and minor?

Choosing a major and minor can be a personal decision based on your interests, skills, and career goals. It's important to do research on different majors and minors, talk to advisors and professors, and consider your strengths and weaknesses before making a decision.

4. Can I change my major or minor during college?

Yes, it is common for students to change their major or minor during college. It's important to meet with an advisor to understand the requirements and any potential impact on your graduation timeline.

5. Do minors matter as much as majors?

This depends on your individual goals and career path. Some employers may value a minor as a way to show knowledge and skills in a specific area, while others may only focus on your major. It's important to research the expectations of your desired career field and make a decision based on that.