Question about college major and minor

• Schools
  • Thread starter karan4496
  • Start date
Im planning to attend Drexel University next year and was wondering if taking Physics as a major and Astrophysics as a minor was a good choice.

Im very interested in learning about the Universe and astronomy with the application of mathematics and computer programming. I hope to specialize myself in astrophysics at some point in time so...will this setup help with that?

I feel that taking pure Physics as a major will diversify my knowledge in the field, something that simply doing Astrophysics with its requirements would not offer. What are your suggestions?

Answers and Replies

May want to check on whether you can take astrophysics as a minor if your major is Physics. Where I go they highly discourage it (advisor wouldn't allow it) since other than a few labs and upper level requirements both majors and minors were the same.

Doesn't mean you can't take astro classes if there is room though.

Most universities that don't have an astrophysics/astronomy major will usually recommend that you go physics as a major and then astronomy as a minor for undergrad. This is how my university works, and I THINK it's how others work for the most part. Doing that, you should gain a deep enough understanding of both subjects to apply it to a graduate program in either of the above mentioned areas.