1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about conducting plates

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two infinite sheets with surface charge density σ1 and σ2, respectively, are oriented perpendicular to the x-axis. An infinite, conducting slab of thickness a is placed between the charged sheets as shown in the figure. The conducting plate has a net charge per unit area of σC.

2. Relevant equations

Calculate the x-component of the net electric field at x = 0.

(a) Ex = +7.85 × 105 V/m
    (b) Ex = +6.22 × 105 V/m
    (c) Ex = +5.65 × 105 V/m
    (d) Ex = -2.67 × 105 V/m
    (e) Ex = -3.85 × 105 V/m

QUESTION 15**
    Calculate the surface charge density σR induced on the right hand face of the conducting plate.

(a) σR = +3.75 μC/m2
    (b) σR = +2.00 μC/m2
    (c) σR = -1.50. μC/m2
    (d) σR = -3.00 μC/m2
    (e) σR = -4.25 μC/m2

3. The attempt at a solution

14. for this number, i suppose left part of the conducting plate has the charge density -1.5. that gives the total E at x = 0 equal to 10. i use the formula E = sigma/2Eo = 10/(2*8.85) to get the answer C

15. I have no idea. I thought it was c, but the answer is B.

thank you so much!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apply Gauss' law to the Gaussian cylinder of cross-sectional area da enclosing the left surface of the conducting sheet (ie. ending in the middle of the conducting sheet where the field = 0) and x=0. You know that the net field through the left surface of area da is equal to the field at x=0 (ie. the answer to question 14) and the field through the right surface of area da is 0.

So applying Gauss' law: [itex]E_x\cdot da = dq/\epsilon_0 = \sigma_L da/\epsilon_0[/itex]

which means that [itex]\sigma_L = E_x\epsilon_0[/itex] (work out the polarity from the direction of the field, which is the direction in which a positive charge would move).

Then it is just a matter of working out what the charge density on the right is so that the total charge density is [itex]\sigma_c = -3.0 \mu C[/itex]

AM

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. Oct 24, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You don't need to suppose. The electric field induced by an infinite sheet is sigma/e0, regardless of the distance to the sheet. That means the conducting plate induces sigma_c/e0 everywhere except inside the plate, so you can just add up the electric fields and get the anser.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook