Question about dimensional analysis

In summary, the student is looking for online resources that would help him practice graphical analysis of equations. He has two problems that he needs help with: fitting a nonlinear equation into a linear form and finding the resistivity of a wire.
Cade

Homework Statement

I have an equation for motion:
x(t) = x(0) + x(0) * k * t[itex]^{1.5}[/itex]
x is in meters and t is in seconds. I have to determine the unit of k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t) = x(0) + x(0) * k * t[itex]^{1.5}[/itex]
[x(t)] = meters
Therefore, [x(0)] = meters and [x(0) * k * t[itex]^{1.5}[/itex]] = meters
meters * [k] * seconds[itex]^{1.5}[/itex] = meters
meters * (1/seconds[itex]^{1.5}[/itex]) * seconds[itex]^{1.5}[/itex] = meters

Does this mean the the unit of k is 1/seconds[itex]^{1.5}[/itex], 1/seconds, or something completely different?

Physics news on Phys.org
You first option is correct 1/s^1.5

Thanks, I didn't know if that was possible. I have another question if you could please check:

A force F is equal to k*x^n, where x is in centimeters.

[k*x^n] = N
[k]*(cm^n) = N
[k] = N/(cm^n)

The unit of k is N/(cm^n), is this correct?

Last edited:
Yes, you seem to have it sorted out!

Great, thanks. I've done far better in more difficult subjects like multivariable calculus, but the lack of a proper instructor for physics has me making stupid mistakes these days. :frown:

Would you happen to know of any online resource where I can practice graphical analysis of equations like these? What I have to do is to take a non-linear data set and convert it to a straight-line equation, determine appropriate units for slope and intercept, and determine values for the constants based on slope and intercepts. I only have two practice problems to work with.

I have never looked for any online resources for these types of problems.
If you know the power law for the equation (t^1.5 in your first example, n in your second example) Then the graph to plot is x against t^1.5 for the first and F against x^n for the second.
These would give straight lines with gradient k in each case.
If you do not know the power law... I think that is the case in your second example, you only know it as n then you must take logs :
F = k * x^n
LnF = Lnk + n*Lnx

A graph of LnF against Lnx will be a straight line with gradient n and intercept Lnk from which k can be calculated

Does this make any sense for you, have you met log ~ log graphs

I get the hang of those graphs, but I would feel more comfortable with practice. The other problem I have which I can't work is finding the resistivity p of a wire whose resistance R = (4pL)/(pi*d^2)

Plot R on the y-axis and 1/(d^2) on the x-axis to get gradient = 4pL/pi, and then p = gradient/(4L/pi). But I didn't get a correct graph:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3618742&postcount=3

Hence, that is why I would feel more comfortable with more to practice with. But I understand what you said about log ~ log graphs, I have this problem (the one I made this thread for, not the previous one) fitted into a linear form properly, all the points rest on a straight line.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert units of measurement and check the consistency of equations. It involves using conversion factors and unit cancellation to ensure that the units in an equation are consistent.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it allows scientists to convert between different units of measurement and check the accuracy of their calculations. It also helps to identify any errors in equations and ensure that they are physically meaningful.

3. How is dimensional analysis used in science?

Dimensional analysis is used in science to convert units of measurement, create and check equations, and solve problems involving multiple dimensions. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to ensure accuracy and consistency in calculations and experiments.

4. What are the basic steps of dimensional analysis?

The basic steps of dimensional analysis include identifying the starting and desired units, finding conversion factors to convert between the units, and cancelling out the unwanted units to arrive at the desired unit. It is also important to check the final units to ensure they are consistent with the intended dimension.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used for non-numerical quantities?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for non-numerical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. In these cases, the units may be represented by variables instead of numbers, but the same principles of unit cancellation and conversion factors still apply.