1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about electrostatic forces

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    Two identical conducting spheres, fixed in place, attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0864 N when their center-to-center separation is 70.6 cm. The spheres are then connected by a thin conducting wire. When the wire is removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0422 N.

Of the initial charges on the spheres, with a positive net charge, what was (a) the negative charge in coulombs on one of them and (b) the positive charge in coulombs on the other?

Attempt at solution

All I could figure out so far has been:

What doesn't make sense to me is I thought after a wire is but between two objects, the charges become the same.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2
    Nevermind. I was getting confused. I don't no how to delete a post, but don't respond to this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?