Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about equations of 3D solids

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    I was working on a problem on this domain:
    [tex]
    E=[x,y,z)\:s.t. \: \sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq \sqrt{3x^2+3y^2},\: x^2+y^2+z^2\leq 2]
    [/tex]
    and at some point I wanted to find the intersection of the internal cone(##\sqrt{3x^2+3y^2}=z##) with the sphere of radius ##\sqrt{2}## to find the height z of the circle. I did so by equating the two in cylindrical coordinates as follows:
    [tex]
    3x^2+3y^2-z^2=x^2+y^2+z^2-2\\x=rcos\theta,\: y=rsin\theta,\: z=z\\2r^2-2z^2+2=0 \rightarrow z^2=r^2+1
    [/tex]
    This result confuses me. The intersection of a cone along the z-axis and a sphere centered in (0,0,0) should be a circle around the z-axis(and so with a fixed z). The radius(##\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## is of course also fixed. Then why do I get a function of z and r? Isn't the intersection of a cone and a sphere a circle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not the way it works for an intersection. Both sides should be zero, so you have two equations:$$
    3x^2+3y^2-z^2=0 \\x^2+y^2+z^2-2 = 0 $$ and from this you have to find your way out....

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    You are a genius. :D thank you!

5. Feb 16, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook