1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about exponents and i .

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    how would I simplify or figure out [itex] i^{i^{i..}} [/itex]
    this keep going an infinite tower of i's

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2
    (a^b)^c = a^(bc)

i^i^i^... = i^(i*i*i*...)
    [tex]= \lim_{n→∞}i^{(n\,i)} = \lim_{n→∞}(i^{\,i})^{n}[/tex]
    [tex]i^{\,i} = e^{-\pi/2}[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{n→∞}(i^{\,i})^{n} = \lim_{n→∞}\frac{1}{e^{n\pi/2}} = 0[/tex]

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    why does (a^b)^c equal a^(bc)
    x^x^x does not equal x^(x^2)

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey cragar.

In terms of this I don't think you are going to get a closed-form solution but there is a way to go from say i^i using eulers identity.

To do this we use i^i = e^(i * ln(i)) = e^(itheta) where theta = ln(i). We use the principle branch for ln(i), which gives cos(ln(i)) + isin(ln(i)) = e^(-pi/2) = 0.207879576.

Another way is to use i^i = ((-1)^(1/2))^i = e^(1/2*i^2*pi) = e^(-pi/2), since i has principal argument of pi/2 (cos(pi/2) + isin(pi/2) = i).

Applying this again gives us (e^(-pi/2))^i = e^(-ipi/2) = cos(-pi/2) + isin(-pi/2) = -i. But now are back to the imaginary i in negative form!

I'm guessing (but you will have verify) that we will eventually get back to i after doing this process again (kind of like a spinor).

Because of this, the value in the infinite limit will not exist in the sense of something fixed and something that converges to a definitive value.

6. Jun 28, 2012 #5

Mute

Homework Helper

(a^b)^c = a^(bc), but that is not what you have. You have a^(b^c), which is not equal to a^(bc). Exponentiation is not associative.

As for the actual limit, the result is apparently quoted on this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-exponentiation#Extension_to_complex_bases

There is a formula for a number x raised to itself infinitely many times in terms of the Lambert-W function (which is also quoted on that page), but there does not appear to be a proved extension for complex numbers.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. Jun 28, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the limit exists, it is a solution of iz = z.
    Writing z = re:
    r π cos(θ) = 2θ
    r π sin(θ) = -2 ln(r)
    The solution at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-e..._complex_bases [Broken] does indeed satisfy these equations.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jun 29, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is true but cragar i talking about [itex]a^{b^c}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook