Question about Fermi's gas effective mass.

In summary, the man who solved the problems regarding the electrons of the conduction band in a metal used the concept of effective mass, which is derived from Landau's Fermi Liquid theory. This theory transforms the many-body problem into a one-body problem, making it solvable. This results in the "dressing" of the electrons in the solid, giving them an effective mass that can be obtained from the dispersion relation.
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody; today I was reading some problems about a metal and the electrons of the conduction band; the man who solved them used the mass of the electron as effective mass (m*).
I don't know why he did that; I have investigated but I don't have fount an explanation.
Can somebody please point me in the right direction to a webpage or book where I can find that?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Einstein said:
Hi everybody; today I was reading some problems about a metal and the electrons of the conduction band; the man who solved them used the mass of the electron as effective mass (m*).
I don't know why he did that; I have investigated but I don't have fount an explanation.
Can somebody please point me in the right direction to a webpage or book where I can find that?

Thanks for reading.

I've posted in another thread an explanation that you might be able to use:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/quasiparticles-of-quantum-mechanics.80512/#post-619236

The whole concept here is to make the problem solvable. Electrons in solids are in a many-body situation. This is often unsolvable as far as understanding their dynamics, etc. So Landau came up with his Fermi Liquid theory in which, under a weak-coupling limit, the many-body problem can be transformed into a many one-body problem. The latter we know how to solve. But a consequence of that is the "renormalization" of the bare particle mass. The bare particle is now a "quasiparticle", having some effective mass that can be derived from the dispersion relation.

So the "electrons" in solids are not the bare electrons that you know and love. Rather, they are electrons "dressed" in a many-body interaction.

Zz.

Likes Frank Einstein
Thank you very much for your anwser. I get it now.

1. What is Fermi's gas effective mass?

Fermi's gas effective mass refers to the concept of an effective mass for particles in a gas at very low temperatures. It is a measure of the inertia of a particle in a gas, taking into account interactions between particles and the surrounding medium.

2. How is Fermi's gas effective mass calculated?

Fermi's gas effective mass can be calculated using the formula m* = ħ^2(k^2)/2E(k), where m* is the effective mass, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, k is the wave vector, and E(k) is the energy of a particle with a given wave vector.

3. What is the significance of Fermi's gas effective mass?

Fermi's gas effective mass is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a gas at very low temperatures, such as in superconductors. It also plays a role in the study of quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics.

4. How does Fermi's gas effective mass differ from regular mass?

Fermi's gas effective mass is a derived quantity that takes into account interactions between particles, while regular mass is an intrinsic property of a particle. Effective mass can vary depending on the conditions of the gas, while regular mass remains constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fermi's gas effective mass?

Fermi's gas effective mass has applications in many areas, such as understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and designing new materials for use in electronics. It is also used in the study of astrophysics, helping to explain the properties of neutron stars and other dense objects in the universe.