Some questions about electrons and the Fermi energy

In summary, the Fermi energy and Fermi level are essentially the same thing, acting as the chemical potential at 0K. In a metal at equilibrium, only energy levels near the Fermi level participate in electrical conduction due to their ability to reconfigure and have a significant net velocity while still containing a significant number of electrons. However, this term is somewhat elastic as it depends on the amount of excitation and equilibrium. Additionally, while it is generally true that all states up to the Fermi level are filled and above it are empty, this is only an approximation and not exact for all temperatures in a solid metal. It is also important to note that only electrons with energy near the Fermi level can be excited by thermal gradients
Jeff Chen
Hello ,evreyone.I have two questions about fermi energy.
1,Can I claim that 'fermi energy ' play the role of chemical potential?
2,I have learned from thermal physics that only electrons near fermi level can conduct in metals.How can electrons behave like this? I can't figure out why only electrons near fermi level can conduct in metals.
Thanks!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes nasu
Physics news on Phys.org
1) The "Fermi Level" is the same thing as chemical potential. The "Fermi energy" is the chemical potential at 0 K.
2) Only energy levels near the Fermi level participate in electrical conduction. This is because energy levels farther away from the Fermi level are either mostly full or mostly empty. Mostly full levels do not conduct much because a full energy level forces the average velocity to be 0. In a full level just as many electrons are traveling one way as the other, so there is no net current, no conduction. Mostly empty energy levels have so few electrons in them that they can't contribute much either. Only the partially filled levels near Fermi level have the freedom to reconfigure so that there is a significant net velocity in one way while still containing a significant number of electrons.

I just want to add some information to the already good description. In a metall at equilibrium, all states up to the Fermi level are filled and all states above it are empty. That's a conclusion of the Fermi–Dirac statistics where the occupation probability is exactly 1/2 at the Fermi energy. So at equlibrium, beside some thermal excitation fluctuation that leads to an average current of I = 0, there is no net flow of charge. One needs to bring in energy (thermal disequilibrium) to excite electrons in higher states but these electrons won't come from states close to the nucleus. Instead they are from states close to the Fermi level. However "electroncs near the Fermi level" is an elastic term as it depends a bit on the amount of excitation and disequlibrium.

BPHH85 said:
I just want to add some information to the already good description. In a metall at equilibrium, all states up to the Fermi level are filled and all states above it are empty. That's a conclusion of the Fermi–Dirac statistics where the occupation probability is exactly 1/2 at the Fermi energy. So at equlibrium, beside some thermal excitation fluctuation that leads to an average current of I = 0, there is no net flow of charge. One needs to bring in energy (thermal disequilibrium) to excite electrons in higher states but these electrons won't come from states close to the nucleus. Instead they are from states close to the Fermi level. However "electroncs near the Fermi level" is an elastic term as it depends a bit on the amount of excitation and disequlibrium.
I find these explanations a bit misleading. In a metal at equilibrium, it isn't necessarily true that all states up to the Fermi level are filled and all states above are empty. It does not come out from the Fermi-Dirac statistics. In fact this only holds at 0K. However, any temperature for a solid metal is generally "cold" (thus, not much different from the 0K situation), so the statement holds approximately quite well, but it isn't quite exact.

Then, saying that it isn't the electrons near the nuclei that contributes to thermal excitation is completely trivial, since they aren't even considered as free electrons, they do not even enter the Fermi sphere (they are entirely ignored, they do not take part in the "sea of free electrons" which models the metal). What should be claimed instead, is that it isn't the least energetic free electrons that can get excited by a thermal gradient, it is only those having an energy near the Fermi energy. That is all due to Pauli's exclusion principle and Fermi-Dirac statistics.

Likes DrClaude

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge and are found in the outer shells of atoms. They are one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and play a crucial role in chemical reactions and electricity.

2. How are electrons related to the Fermi energy?

The Fermi energy is the highest energy level occupied by electrons at absolute zero temperature in a solid material. It is a measure of the energy required to remove an electron from a solid material. The number of electrons at the Fermi energy level determines the electrical and thermal conductivity of a material.

3. What is the significance of the Fermi energy in materials?

The Fermi energy is an important concept in materials science as it determines the electronic and thermal properties of materials. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials and their interactions with other particles.

4. How is the Fermi energy calculated?

The Fermi energy can be calculated using the formula EF = (h2/8m)(3π2N/V)2/3, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of an electron, N is the number of electrons, and V is the volume of the material. This formula is based on the Fermi-Dirac distribution, which describes the probability of finding electrons at different energy levels in a material.

5. Can the Fermi energy be changed in a material?

Yes, the Fermi energy can be changed in a material by altering the number of electrons or the volume of the material. This can be achieved through processes such as doping, which involves introducing impurities into a material, or applying external forces such as pressure or temperature. Changes in the Fermi energy can significantly affect the electrical and thermal properties of a material.