Question about going into EE/CmpE

• Thread starter Bob Busby
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is seeking recommendations for books, topics, and activities to gain an edge before starting their university studies in EE or CmpE. Suggestions include developing intuition, reading "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, and purchasing hobby kits for hands-on learning. It is also important to keep in mind the limitations of certain resources and to study diligently in classes.
Bob Busby
Hello all, I will be going to Uni soon as either an EE or a CmpE (probably CmpE). I appeal to your experienced selfs and ask if you could recommend some books/topics/activities that you think I should read/know/do or that you wish you had had before you started off. I know the physics and basic electronics and programming but I am looking to get an edge. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bob Busby said:
Hello all, I will be going to Uni soon as either an EE or a CmpE (probably CmpE). I appeal to your experienced selfs and ask if you could recommend some books/topics/activities that you think I should read/know/do or that you wish you had had before you started off. I know the physics and basic electronics and programming but I am looking to get an edge. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I think a great way to get an edge is to develop your intutition. That way, you will understand new concepts more quickly when they come up in classes. A good book for both EE and CmpE is The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill.

The book carlgrace suggested is awesome. I used it as a supplement to my learning throughout my EE undergrad.

My recommendation is, if you can afford it, to buy some hobby kits that provide a fun introduction to CE-type projects. They will help you not only learn new things, but get your head in the game, which will be a huge advantage over other freshmen.

KingNothing said:
The book carlgrace suggested is awesome. I used it as a supplement to my learning throughout my EE undergrad.

It is a great book, but be sure to keep its limitations in mind. It presents electronics as a mile wide but an inch deep. In reality electronics is a mile wide AND a mile deep. So, Horowitz and Hill is a great learning aid, but don't make the mistake of thinking you understand electronics after you read it. Study hard in your classes!

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Computer Engineering (CmpE)?

EE focuses on the study of electrical systems and devices, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution, as well as electronic circuits and devices. CmpE, on the other hand, combines elements of EE and Computer Science, focusing on the design and development of computer systems and hardware.

2. What are the job opportunities for EE and CmpE graduates?

Both EE and CmpE graduates have a wide range of job opportunities, including roles in industries such as telecommunications, power and energy, consumer electronics, and computer hardware and software development. They can also pursue careers in research and academia.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and physics to be successful in EE/CmpE?

Having a strong foundation in math and physics is important for understanding the fundamental principles of EE/CmpE. However, with dedication and hard work, one can develop these skills and be successful in the field.

4. What are the key skills needed to excel in EE/CmpE?

Some key skills that are crucial for success in EE/CmpE include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong technical skills. Effective communication and teamwork are also important for working on projects and collaborating with others.

5. What are the current trends in EE/CmpE?

Some current trends in EE/CmpE include the development of renewable energy technologies, the integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning in electronic devices, the advancement of internet of things (IoT) and smart technologies, and the increasing use of robotics in various industries.