Question about grad school open house

In summary: If you can't handle that, then this probably isn't the right school for you. In summary, the department is very competitive, professors are usually quite good, and the research is highly coveted.
nsatya
Hello,

I will be attending an Open House this week and was wondering what things I should be looking for when I visit the department as well as what I could ask them to get the best general idea of what life as a grad student there will be like. I know this is a very broad question, but I was just wondering if there are some key aspects of the department that will give insight on life at the university as a grad student. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does it take students to finish a PhD on average? What's the drop-out rate? How many students pass the qualifier on the first try? How about the second try? What's the format of the qualifier (separate subject exams, any subject exams, oral exams, when do students take it in the course of a degree, if retaking can you only retake the part you failed or do you need to retake the whole thing)? Do they have publication requirements? About how many papers do PhD students publish before graduating? What kind of jobs do graduates get - academic, research, teaching, industry? Does any employer in particular employ many of their graduates?

Yes, it's very useful to ask current grad students about the climate of the school, how good the professors are, if everyone gets along well or if there's a ton of competition, but it's also good to think ahead to what you can do with a degree from that school.

I second everything eri said. Especially make sure to talk to current students to try to get a general feel for what it's like to be a student there.

Some additional questions: If you'll be teaching when you start (or at any point), ask how many hours per week of teaching to TAs have to put in? In practice does it usually turn out to be much more or less then that nominal amount? If there are professors you think you might want to work with, try to find their current students and ask about what they're like to work with, or ask other students if they have any particular reputation.

Have fun!

Also ask current students with RAs how they joined their research group, and how happy they are with this match.

I know how one department at my grad institution (not the one I was in) where students did not join a group until after they passed qualifying exams... and then all the students that had passed submitted slips of paper with their top 3 groups on it... and then the professors heading the groups decided from there. It seemed to be a very bad system, resulting in many unhappy students.

I've been reading at least 1 article from every professor that I have an interview with just so it gives something for us to converse about when we are doing 1 on 1 during open house visits. Try reading or skimming over an article they wrote and asking about it during interviews. Professors love to have their egos stroked and like to see that you really are taking an active approach to applying and not just spraying and praying when it comes to admissions apps. Talking about the research with the professors you are interested in will give you an idea of what your grad school life will really be like. Crap, interview at Hopkins tomorrow and I'm reading some journal articles to prepare as we speak. It seems to be ultra competitive here amongst the candidates, it's a little nerve racking.

nsatya said:
I will be attending an Open House this week and was wondering what things I should be looking for when I visit the department as well as what I could ask them to get the best general idea of what life as a grad student there will be like.

I think the big thing is to look at the people there and ask yourself whether or not you are willing to be locked in a room with them for several years.

1. What is a grad school open house?

A grad school open house is an event hosted by a university or college to provide information about their graduate programs, admissions process, and campus resources. It allows prospective students to visit the campus, meet faculty and current students, and get a better understanding of the graduate school experience.

2. Why should I attend a grad school open house?

Attending a grad school open house can provide valuable insights into the graduate program you are interested in. It allows you to ask questions, network with faculty and students, and get a feel for the campus and community. It can also help you make an informed decision about whether the program is a good fit for your academic and career goals.

3. Do I have to RSVP for a grad school open house?

It is always best to RSVP for a grad school open house, as it helps the organizers plan for the event and ensures that you receive all the necessary information. However, some open houses may allow walk-ins, so it is best to check with the university beforehand.

4. What should I bring to a grad school open house?

It is recommended to bring a notepad and pen to take notes, a copy of your resume or CV, and any questions you may have about the program. It is also a good idea to dress professionally, as you may have the opportunity to network with faculty and alumni.

5. Can I bring a guest to a grad school open house?

Most grad school open houses allow guests to attend, but it is best to check with the university beforehand. Bringing a guest can provide a different perspective and help you make a more informed decision about the program. However, some events may be limited to prospective students only.