Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about gravitational attraction

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    So the formula is F=Gm1m2/r^2. Could you substitute one of the mass values for an energy value since gravity attracts energy ? Or would this require a different equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using E=mc^2?

Yes, you could do that ... but only if the energy was confined somehow.

A full treatment requires general relativity.

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3
    Welcome to PF RandomDude :redface:

Simply, gravity "attracts" mass in Einstein's theory and not in Newton's which the equation is from :smile:. There gravity isn't an "attraction" like in Newton's theory. Is is a distortion in spacetime where the mass will follow the distortion. Continue your search about gravity and try reading more about General relativity and space! Have fun!.

Watch this video . Hopefully, it will set you on the right track. (note the video is not the actual representation of gravity in Einstein's theory but it makes it easier for you to visualize it)

Note: My post might have some errors and wrong physics/terminology, so I will leave it for the experienced to correct me :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jul 6, 2014 #4
    Thanks for helping me wrap my mind around that, I've never actually been in a physics classroom yet. I self study for now.

6. Jul 6, 2014 #5
    Don't worry :smile:

I have never been in a physics classroom. And now I am continuing to my second year undergrad in physics! You are curious and that what matters !:thumbs:

7. Jul 6, 2014 #6
    Medicine and Physics are definitely the two things I'm interested in right now.
    Yeah I asked myself why things happen and I indulged into physics.

8. Jul 6, 2014 #7
    You've got medicine physics :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook