Question about how to derive Sine

In summary: Using_the_CORDIC_algorithmIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the sine of an angle in a right triangle. The speaker is trying to derive the values of sine and cosine for all rational degrees on the unit circle. They mention using a circle construction to prove an identity and ask for help in finding the slope of the line that forms the angle. The other person explains that most trig values are not constructible numbers and suggests using calculus or power series expansion to approximate the values. They also mention the use of the CORDIC algorithm for more accurate approximations.
alex308
So I know that sine of an angle is the side opposite of the angle in a right triangle divided by the hypotenuse. What i want to know is: if i have an angle in a right triangle how do i find the sides of the triangle so i can find Sine.

I spent my study hall trying to figure it out and this is as far as i got. I'm simply using a random angle of 73° to depict my logic.

Sine.jpg

I figured out that if i could just find the slope of the hypotenuse, i would be able to use point-slope formula to find an equation for the hypotenuse. I could then determine where the hypotenuse intersects the circle which would give me the values of X and Y. I would then be able to calculate the Sine of the angle.

I suppose it all boils down to how do i find the slope of the hypotenuse of a right triangle.
The only one i could figure out was that 45° has a slope of 1 and as theta approaches 90° the slope approaches infinite.

I don't know if this is the original method of deriving Sine but it seems like it could work if i could find the slope of any angle. My intention is to find all the Y values on the circle so that i can plot a sine wave. If anyone can lead me in the right direction with my work or if they could tell me a more logical way of finding sine i would appreciate it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
x=r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

slope=y/x=tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta)

does that help, or are you trying to derive this from simpler methods?

I'm not sure what you mean by "derive" The x and y coordinates on the unit circle are the definition respectively of the cosine and sine functions of the angle.

You can then either define or derive that the slope of the hypotenuse is the tangent of the angle and vis versa that it is the ratio of sine over cosine.

I tell my students to keep straight which is which to remember to keep them in alphabetical order x =cosine, y = sine.

So you can't really "derive" sine and cosine from first principles because that they are the coordinates is the definition i.e. is the "first principles" from which we derive other relations.

You could spend days doing this and not get very far. The problem is that most values of the sine function are not constructable numbers.

What you can do is something a bit more useful. Try to use your circle construction to prove the identity:

[tex]\sin(a + b) = \sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b[/tex]

jambaugh said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "derive" The x and y coordinates on the unit circle are the definition respectively of the cosine and sine functions of the angle.

You can then either define or derive that the slope of the hypotenuse is the tangent of the angle and vis versa that it is the ratio of sine over cosine.

I realize that the x and y cordinates are the definitions of cosine and sine. My quarrel is how do i determine the x and y values.

What I meant by derive was how do i come up with the x and y values for this triangle and for all rational degrees around the circle so i can sketch a sine wave.

This is all in an attempt to understand what a calculator is doing when i graph sin(x) or even where it comes up with an answer for sin(73).

If anybody could walk me step be step through finding the sine of 73° without a calculator i would appreciate it.

I know that if someone could just show me how to find the SLOPE of the line that forms the angle between it and then the x-axis then i would have the answer to my question.

Unless, you are willing to accept an approximate value, the answer, as you have been told several times now, is that you can't- almost all trig values are NOT "constructible numbers".

HallsofIvy said:
Unless, you are willing to accept an approximate value, the answer, as you have been told several times now, is that you can't- almost all trig values are NOT "constructible numbers".

Well that is all well and good but then please explain to me how I could approximate these values.

Do you know calculus? That is the best way to obtain approximate values.

What is the formula for deriving sine?

The formula for deriving sine is sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse, where x is the angle in a right triangle.

How is the sine function related to triangles?

The sine function is used to calculate the ratio of the length of the side opposite to an angle to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but sine is used to calculate the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cosine is used to calculate the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

Can the sine function be used to find the length of a side in a triangle?

Yes, the sine function can be used to find the length of a side in a triangle if the length of the other two sides and the angle opposite the unknown side are known.

How is the sine function used in real life?

The sine function is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate angles, distances, and other measurements in real-life situations.