1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about how to solve a simple matrix (beginner linear algebra).

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the following (obviously using matrices):

a=[2 1 1 3 8; 3 -1 4 7 7; 0 1 -1 -1 2; 1 -1 2 3 1]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK so my linear algebra prof is useless. So I am now on my own (well plus the infinite power of the internet that is!)

So on our assignment, we must solve the following system

a=[2 1 1 3 8; 3 -1 4 7 7; 0 1 -1 -1 2; 1 -1 2 3 1] (where each ; denotes a new line in the matrix, so in total there are 4 rows and 5 columns. Note: This is an augmented matrix.)

So, no matter WHAT I do in row reducing, I always seem to get two rows of complete zeroes on the bottom, which leaves me with only 2 leading variables, and 2 free variables. The only problem is, since I have 4 unknowns and 4 equations, shouldn't it be very possible for me to find what each variable is equal to?

Thanks!

PS: the system I CONTINUOUSLY get is the following:

a=[1 0 1 2 3; 0 1 -1 -1 2; 0 0 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0 0]

Thanks so much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer to your question " shouldn't it be very possible for me to find what each variable is equal to?" is NO. Your 4x4 matrix A =[[2 1 1 3],[3 -1 4 7],[0 1 -1 -1],[1 -1 2 3]] is singular, so either the system of equations Ax = b (b = [8 7 2 1]^T) has no solution, or else it has infinitely many. You are getting infinitely many. Just counting the number of equations and the number of variables is not enough; we also need a non-singular matrix on the left.

I think your solution is correct. When I put the system through Maple I get a solution of the form x1 = 2 - u - 2v, x2 = 2 + u + v, x3 = u, x4 = v for arbitrary values u, v.

RGV

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    OK thanks, I appreciate the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook