Question about mechanical energy in an isolated system

In summary: I think you have answered the question. In summary, the man has a potential energy due to the energy he is putting into motion by throwing the ball.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hello,
Consider a system that is made of a man and a hockey ball on ice (frictionless).
Say the man's mass is 80kg and the ball is 0.5kg.
At [tex]t=0[/tex], they are together and they don't move. At an instant the man throw the ball at [tex]\frac{10m}{s}[/tex] against a wall (the ball suffers an elastic collision) and finally reaches the man. If the man repeat this experience again and again he will get a velocity each time greater, but it doesn't double at each time. In fact I've thought about it and he would eventually reach a velocity close to [tex]\frac{10m}{s}[/tex] (I think it's possible for him to reach a velocity even a bit greater, but then the ball wouldn't be able to reach the man so the velocity of the man would then be definitive).
My question is : What is the total mechanical energy of the system? I think we have to separate it into the one from the man and the one from the ball. As the ball is always moving with a speed of [tex]\frac{10m}{s}[/tex], I think it remains unchanged. ([tex]E=\frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]). While the mechanical energy of the man is growing up! (Since his speed is increasing each time he hits the ball). So my guess is that the mechanical energy of the man is not equal to [tex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex], in other words he must have a potential energy. How can I find it out? Remember that it is possible for the man to get over [tex]\frac{10m}{s}[/tex].
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand the question. Several points: Is the ball thrown at 10 m/s with respect to the man? Then, as the man's speed increases, the speed of the thrown ball with respect to the ground will decrease. The man's mechanical energy increases--he speeds up. But the man is not a point mass, he has internal mechanisms that convert chemical energy (from food and oxygen) into mechanical energy.

Doc Al said:
I don't really understand the question. Several points: Is the ball thrown at 10 m/s with respect to the man? Then, as the man's speed increases, the speed of the thrown ball with respect to the ground will decrease. The man's mechanical energy increases--he speeds up. But the man is not a point mass, he has internal mechanisms that convert chemical energy (from food and oxygen) into mechanical energy.
Oops sorry, yes it is thrown at 10m/s with respect to the man... I forgot that the speed of the ball would decrease with respect to the ground.
But the point is that I didn't know I couldn't consider the man as a simple body. So the potential energy of the man comes from his food/water/oxygen. This explains it all.
Thank you Doc Al!

1. What is mechanical energy in an isolated system?

Mechanical energy refers to the energy possessed by an object due to its position or motion. An isolated system is a physical system that does not interact with its surroundings, meaning that no energy is transferred in or out of the system. Therefore, in an isolated system, mechanical energy is conserved, meaning it remains constant over time.

2. What are the two main types of mechanical energy in an isolated system?

The two main types of mechanical energy in an isolated system are kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or state.

3. What is the law of conservation of mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy states that in an isolated system, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant. This means that the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy at any given time will always equal the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy at any other time.

4. How does mechanical energy change in an isolated system?

In an isolated system, mechanical energy can change from one form to another. For example, when an object falls, its potential energy decreases as it moves closer to the ground, but its kinetic energy increases as it gains speed. However, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant as it is conserved in an isolated system.

5. How does friction affect mechanical energy in an isolated system?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can cause a decrease in mechanical energy in an isolated system. This is because some of the kinetic energy of an object is converted into heat through friction, resulting in a decrease in the total mechanical energy of the system. However, the law of conservation of mechanical energy still applies, and the total amount of mechanical energy will remain constant.