Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about microcontrollers

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    I have a question about microcontrollers. Up until now in my university career I have only used microcontrollers that are already mounted on a circuit board that has pins already set up much like an IC. Now I am interested in going more in depth in this area. My question is are there any resources online that I could read about where I can go about to build my own project where I mount controllers and memory IC's on it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're just asking how you could make your own printed circuit board, and mount your own components on it?

To start with, look up the datasheets of the components you want to use (microcontroller, memory, etc.). Design your circuit in schematic form, showing all the connections between the microcontroller, memory, power supplies, etc.

Next, use a PCB layout program to design a PCB. Send it off to get manufactured (or, if you're adventurous, etch the board yourself at home). Solder on your components and you're done.

If you're looking for some free tools that you can use to do schematic capture and PCB layout, check out http://www.geda.seul.org/

- Warren

4. May 17, 2006 #3
    thanks very much.

5. May 19, 2006 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are their tools used "only" on UNIX (or LINUX) OS's? (Those are excellent platforms by the way.. :smile: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?