Question about Newton's Third Law of Motion

In summary, the magnitude of the force of the brick hitting the glass window is greater than the magnitude of the force of the window. This is due to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. While the magnitudes may be equal, the effects are different due to the nature and properties of the materials involved. Additionally, considering Newton's second law, which states that the net force exerted on an object is proportional to its acceleration, further supports the idea that the force of the brick is greater in this scenario.
jle1092
A brick hits a glass window. The brick breaks the glass, so:
is the magnitude of the force of the brick, greater, less than, or equal to the magnitude of the force of the window?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal an opposite reaction.

With this law I think I should say the magnitude is equal, but then again my gut tells me that the law is talking about the net force and this specific question is dealing with this once force itself, so I want to say the magnitude of the force of the brick is greater. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
magnitudes are equal, direction are opposite, effects are different, effect depends on nature and properties of the material. here, brittleness of glass.

Well what I think you should do is think about Newton's second law, which is frequently formulated as:

[tex]f_{net}=ma[/tex]

That is to say, the net force exerted on an object is proportional to its acceleration. Think about the net force acting on the brick, and then break that force down into its components; the normal reaction of the window on the brick and gravity. (It's equivalent, and more straightforward, if you first consider, for example, a skylight instead of a normal window, the brick being dropped vertically downwards onto it.)

If you still need more hints, let me know.

Last edited:

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

Yes, a classic example of Newton's Third Law is when you sit in a chair. The weight of your body exerts a force on the chair, and the chair exerts an equal and opposite force back on your body, keeping you in a state of equilibrium.

How does Newton's Third Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law is applicable in many everyday situations, such as driving a car, walking, or even throwing a ball. It helps explain how objects interact with each other and how forces play a role in our daily activities.

Does Newton's Third Law only apply to physical objects?

No, Newton's Third Law also applies to non-physical forces, such as gravity and magnetism. For example, the Earth exerts a gravitational force on the moon, and the moon exerts an equal and opposite force back on the Earth.

How does Newton's Third Law contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Newton's Third Law is a fundamental principle in physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It helps explain how objects interact with each other and how forces shape our world on both a small and large scale.