1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about notation in Matrix problem

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1

I'm somewhat confused about the notation in problem 4c of http://www.its.caltech.edu/~hmabuchi/Ph125a/HW1.pdf

In part a, I found the matrix R. I was wondering what was meant by a,b exist in R. My guess is that R in the latter case refers to the set of all real numbers, and that the R in v = a*R + b*R^2 is the matrix R corresponding to the observable r.

Could somebody confirm, or am I totally off?

Also, I'm not sure how to intepret what v is.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    a and b are elements of the real numbers so I think your first statement was correct. If we say that R tells how the probabilities combine to get the expecation value then I think that R^2 will tell us about how the squares of the probabilites will add which tells us about the dispersion of the measure. I am not 100% sold on this since usually the disperson is given as <x>^2-<x^2> (maybe off by a sign here.) so the lack of a square post expectation value is discerning

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    Ok, thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?