A Question about Notation and Continuous Linear Functionals

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard definition of a continuous linear functional and the notation for the set of all linear functionals and the set of all continuous linear functionals. It is said that a linear functional is continuous if there exists a positive number ##M## such that ##\frac{|f(x)|}{||x||} \le M## for every ##x \in V##. The notation for the set of all linear functionals can be denoted as ##V'## and the set of all continuous linear functionals can be denoted as ##V^*##.
Bashyboy
I have reading through various sources on linear functionals, but all seem somewhat inconsistent with regard to denoting the set of all linear functionals and the set

Also, what is the standard definition of a continuous linear functional? I really couldn't find much besides
this
Let ##f : V \rightarrow \mathbb{K}## be a linear functional. It is said to be continuous if and only if for every ##x \in V##, there exists a positive number ##M## such that

##\frac{|f(x)|}{||x||} \le M##

where ##||x||## is the norm of ##x##. The least such number ##M## is called the norm of ##F##, written as ##||f||##,

which comes from http://www.solitaryroad.com/c855.html

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems right for the definition of a continuous linear functional. Clearly this is dependent on your choice of norm for your function space. Also, it implies that if ##\|x\| = 0, ## then ##f(x) = 0##.

Bashyboy said:
I have reading through various sources on linear functionals, but all seem somewhat inconsistent with regard to denoting the set of all linear functionals and the set
Was there supposed to be something here?

RUber said:
Was there supposed to be something here?

Sorry. I thought I had finished the sentence! What I was asking was, what is the standard notation for the set of all linear functionals, and in particular the set of all continuous linear functionals?

Theorem. A linear function ##f:V\to\mathbb{R}## is continuous iff there is a constant ##C## such that ##|f(x)|\le C\|x\|,\quad \forall x\in V##.
Exercise: prove this theorem.

Bashyboy said:
tion for the set of all linear functionals, and in particular the set of all continuous linear functionals?
One of the standard notations: ##V'## -- the space of continuous linear functions of the normed space ##V## and ##V^*## -- the space of all linear functions of ##V##

Likes Bashyboy

What is the meaning of notation in mathematics?

In mathematics, notation is a system of symbols and characters used to represent mathematical concepts, operations, and quantities. It allows for easier communication and understanding of complex mathematical ideas.

What is a continuous linear functional?

A continuous linear functional is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to its underlying field in a linear and continuous manner. In simpler terms, it is a function that is both linear (preserves addition and scalar multiplication) and continuous (small changes in input result in small changes in output).

What is the importance of continuous linear functionals in mathematics?

Continuous linear functionals play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, particularly in functional analysis, which is the study of vector spaces equipped with a topology. They are used to define and characterize important mathematical objects such as dual spaces, norms, and inner products.

How is the continuity of a linear functional defined?

A linear functional is continuous if and only if it is bounded, meaning that there exists a positive real number such that the absolute value of the output of the function is always less than or equal to this number multiplied by the input. In other words, the function does not "blow up" or become unbounded as the input approaches infinity.

What is the difference between a continuous and discontinuous linear functional?

The main difference between a continuous and discontinuous linear functional is whether or not it is bounded. A continuous linear functional is bounded, while a discontinuous linear functional is not. This means that a discontinuous linear functional may have outputs that become arbitrarily large, whereas a continuous linear functional is limited in its output.