1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about photon absorbtion/emission by hydrogen

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    I had this problem for my physics class where we had a 20eV photon interaction with hydrogen gas. It takes 13.6eV to knock electrons off of the atoms from the ground state after the photon is absorbed by the hydrogen atom, but that leaves 6.4eV left over.

Does all of this energy go into the kinetic energy of the electron, or could another photon of, say, 3.2eV be emitted while the other 3.2eV goes into kinetic energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure that the first one is termed the "photoelectric effect" and the second one termed "Compton scattering". Maybe someone who knows a bit more about it can give more info on the "when where why" of why one mechanism is favored over the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook