Question about physics and skiing

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind skiing off cliffs, specifically considering the angle of the cliff, take off speed, impact resistance, height, and the force and speed of the landing. The softness and length of the skis are also mentioned, along with the weight of the skier. An example of a previous jump is mentioned and the possibility of attempting a higher jump.
skiingcliffs
The angle of the cliff, the speed at take off, the resistance of impact( how much powder snow also if its ice), and the height. How much force will you hit the landing with, at what speed? etc Can someone create a problem for me? I want to fully understand the physics behind cliffs and skiing.

And how does the softness of the skis/ the length affect the landing?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Also considering one weighs 180lb

I have jumped off 60ft with almost no speed, and the landing of the angel was 40deg. Landed with the back part of my skis. The landing was pretty soft, I am now attempting to go higher say 120ft

I will land on my backpack with the surface area

nobody?

for your question! The physics behind skiing and cliffs is a fascinating topic. To fully understand the force and speed involved in a landing, we need to consider several factors, including the angle of the cliff, the speed at take off, the resistance of impact (determined by the type of snow), and the height of the cliff.

To create a problem for you, let's imagine a skier who is about to take off from a 30-degree cliff at a speed of 40 miles per hour. The cliff has a height of 50 feet and the snow on the landing is a mixture of powder and ice. Can you calculate the force of impact and the landing speed for this scenario?

First, we need to consider the angle of the cliff. A 30-degree angle means that the skier will be traveling at a downward angle of 30 degrees when they take off. This angle will affect the speed and distance traveled in the air.

Next, we need to calculate the force of impact. This can be determined by using the formula: force = mass x acceleration. The mass of the skier will depend on their weight, and the acceleration will be affected by the angle of the cliff and the type of snow on the landing.

The resistance of impact will also play a role in determining the force of impact. Powder snow will provide more resistance compared to ice, which will result in a softer landing. However, if the snow is too soft, it may also cause the skier to sink in and lose speed, affecting the landing.

Now, let's consider the effect of the skis' softness and length on the landing. Softer skis will absorb more of the impact force, resulting in a softer landing. Longer skis, on the other hand, will provide more stability and control, but may also increase the speed and force of impact.

In summary, the force and speed of a landing from a cliff in skiing are affected by various factors such as the angle of the cliff, speed at take off, resistance of impact, height, and the skis' softness and length. By understanding these principles, we can better understand the physics behind skiing and cliffs. I hope this helps you in your understanding!

What is the relationship between physics and skiing?

Physics plays a significant role in skiing, as it helps explain the movements and forces involved in the sport. Newton's laws of motion, specifically the laws of inertia and action-reaction, are crucial in understanding how skiers move on the slopes. Additionally, concepts like friction, gravity, and momentum all contribute to the physics of skiing.

How does weight and mass affect skiing?

Weight and mass have a significant impact on skiing. The more massive an object is, the more force is required to move it. Therefore, for a skier to move downhill, they need to overcome the force of gravity pulling them towards the ground. Additionally, the weight distribution of a skier can affect their balance and stability while on the slopes.

What is the role of friction in skiing?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object. In skiing, the friction between the skis and the snow is what allows the skier to control their speed and direction. When a skier wants to slow down, they increase the friction between their skis and the snow by pushing their skis closer together. Conversely, when they want to go faster, they reduce the friction by spreading their skis apart.

Why do skiers lean forward while skiing?

When a skier leans forward, they shift their center of mass towards the front of their skis. This position allows for better control and balance, as the skier's weight is distributed evenly on their skis. It also helps the skier initiate turns more easily and reduces the risk of falling backward.

How do different types of snow affect skiing?

The type of snow on the slopes can have a significant impact on a skier's experience. For example, powder snow creates less friction, allowing for faster speeds and more comfortable turns. On the other hand, icy or hard-packed snow creates more friction, making it more challenging to control speed and turn. Additionally, different types of snow can affect the amount of energy and force needed to ski, making it more physically demanding for the skier.