Question about potential difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a voltmeter to measure potential difference in a long wire with a uniform linear charge density. The question at hand is what the voltmeter reads and how to calculate the value of λ. The proposed solution does not yield the correct answer and the conversation concludes with the reminder that only the magnitude of λ can be determined with the given information.
ehabmozart
Question about potential difference??

Homework Statement

A very long wire carries a uniform linear charge density λ
Using a voltmeter to measure potential difference, you find that
when one probe of the meter is placed 2.5 cm from the wire and
the other probe is 1cm farther from the wire, the meter reads 575 V
(a) What is λ?

Homework Equations

Va-Vb= λ/2∏ε0 * ln(rb/ra)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question is what does the voltmeter read? Va-Vb or Vb-Va? ... In this case I assume it is Vb-Va.. So in our attempt it should be -575= λ/2∏ε0 * ln(3.5/2.5) .. But this doesn't yield to the answer... Any thoughts!?

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
My first question is what does the voltmeter read? Va-Vb or Vb-Va? ... In this case I assume it is Vb-Va.. So in our attempt it should be -575= λ/2∏ε0 * ln(3.5/2.5) .. But this doesn't yield to the answer... Any thoughts!?

The question only says that |Vb-Va| is 575 V. So you can only find|λ|.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the energy required to move a unit charge from one point to another.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points and displays the value in volts.

What factors affect potential difference?

The main factors that affect potential difference are the amount of charge and the distance between the two points. The greater the amount of charge and the smaller the distance, the higher the potential difference will be.

What is the relationship between potential difference and current?

According to Ohm's Law, there is a direct relationship between potential difference and current. This means that as potential difference increases, the current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V=IR, where V is potential difference, I is current, and R is resistance.

Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the electric charges are moving in the opposite direction than expected. In this case, the potential difference is still measured between two points, but the direction of the electric current is reversed.