1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Q=mcΔT when doing calorimetry

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When using the equation Q=mcΔT for the substance being tested is it the mass of the substance or the mass of the substance + mass of water.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So when I solve calorimetry problems, I usually find Qwater. Then I set Qsubstance=-Qwater. But then I have to use mcΔT, I'm not sure if it's the mass of the substance or the mass of the substance + mass of the water because I've gotten a few questions wrong and the textbook briefly mentioned the sum of masses but gave no examples. Thanks for your input.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    Re-arrange your equation as follows:

c = [itex]\frac{Q}{mΔT}[/itex]

Since 'c' is for the substance, what would 'm' be for?

4. Nov 8, 2011 #3
    m is for the substance right? Not the sum of the mass of the water and substance.

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4
    Yes, and you can relate to the definition of specific heat: energy required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of the 'substance' on unit degree.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Like specific heat of brine :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook