Question about reflecting sunlight off a mirror

In summary: Sounds a bit tricky.You can also increase the amount of light/heat arriving by focussing several mirrors onto the same area - but be careful. Depending on where you live and the amount of heat already available you could cook your dinner with half a dozen mirror tiles.
Doc Brown
First off, I apologise for this basic (and rather random) question. I am not educated in this area, in fact I have no education in physics whatsoever, but an idea for an invention came to me over the weekend and whether it is feasible or not depends on the answer to this question. I have enjoyed reading these forums before and thought this was a good place to try and find an answer.

Here goes:

If I hold a flat mirror at an angle outdoors and direct the sunlight against a wall, it appears on the wall in a similar shape and size to the dimensions of the mirror I am reflecting it off. My question is, is it possible - perhaps using a mirror with a rounded edge - to create a beam of sunlight larger than the surface area of the mirror I am reflecting it off? If so, what shape and properties would a mirror need to have in order to divert the sunlight off it and create a ray of light with a much larger surface area than that of the mirror itself? Is this possible without breaking the light into lots of smaller rays in the way a mirrorball does?

Many thanks for any input, and thanks for bearing with me!

Science news on Phys.org
Try concave or convex mirror

The sunlight will bounce off the mirror at the same angle it strikes it, If it arrives at 90degrees it leaves at the same angle, if it arrives at 45degrees it leaves at that angle. In order to produce the result you are aiming for you require a curved mirror so that the sunlight strikes each part at a slightly different angle and deflects in an arc.

As Tzemacvh points out, a mirror that is convex will reflect a diverging beam i.e. you will get a larger spot on the wall than the size of the mirror.

Since you mention an invention, I'll jump ahead and guess where you're going. That spot of light on the wall, in addition to being larger, will also be proportionally dimmer. You don't get any more energy just because the area is larger.

Thanks for posting guys.

Looks like my idea wouldn't work then.

The idea came when I was enviously looking out of my window at some neighbours basking in the sun in their conservatories late in the afternoon, at which point there was no direct sunlight on my garden. I wondered whether it was possible to turn my lounge into a conservatory using specially made mirrors situated outside of the house and diverting the sunlight into the house.

It would seem my invention has fallen at the first hurdle!

Doc Brown said:
I wondered whether it was possible to turn my lounge into a conservatory using specially made mirrors situated outside of the house and diverting the sunlight into the house.
Oh - you could definitely do that! No trouble!

DaveC426913 said:
Oh - you could definitely do that! No trouble!
Yeah, you can absolutely redirect sunlight. You'll need a pretty large mirror to deflect enough light (roughly the size of the target area). I recently saw on one of the nature or travel shows, that a small village someplace at the bottom of a steep valley was installing a bank of mirrors at the top of the valley to give them some more sunshine...

Great, the ideas not a dead one then! Just need a large mirror. But it would have to move gradually throughout the day to enable the sunlight to stay on target...

Sounds a bit tricky.

You can also increase the amount of light/heat arriving by focussing several mirrors onto the same area - but be careful. Depending on where you live and the amount of heat already available you could cook your dinner with half a dozen mirror tiles.

1. How does reflecting sunlight off a mirror impact the environment?

Reflecting sunlight off a mirror can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can help cool down urban areas and reduce the heat island effect. On the other hand, it can also contribute to global warming by reflecting heat back into the atmosphere.

2. Can reflecting sunlight off a mirror be used as a method of renewable energy?

Yes, reflecting sunlight off a mirror can be used as a method of renewable energy. It is known as concentrated solar power (CSP) and involves using mirrors to concentrate sunlight onto a receiver, which then converts it into heat to generate electricity.

3. Is there a limit to how much sunlight can be reflected off a mirror?

Yes, there is a limit to how much sunlight can be reflected off a mirror. This is because mirrors can only reflect a certain percentage of light, and the rest will be absorbed. Additionally, too much concentrated sunlight can cause damage to the mirror and reduce its effectiveness.

4. How does the angle of the mirror affect the reflection of sunlight?

The angle of the mirror plays a crucial role in the reflection of sunlight. A mirror angled at 90 degrees will reflect the most amount of sunlight, while a mirror angled at less than 90 degrees will reflect less sunlight. The angle also affects the direction of the reflected light.

5. What are some potential applications of reflecting sunlight off a mirror?

Aside from renewable energy, reflecting sunlight off a mirror can also be used for lighting and heating purposes. It can also be used to improve indoor lighting and reduce the need for artificial lighting. In addition, it has potential applications in agriculture and horticulture for optimizing plant growth and productivity.