Question about the quotient of the charge and mass of an electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of the first measurement of e/m by J.J. Thomson in 1897, demonstrating that the quotient charge-mass of the electron is 1000 times greater than that of a hydrogen ion. It is mentioned that this measurement was made using a Crookes tube, which compares cathode rays with anode rays and implies opposite charges. The conversation also mentions the elementary charge of the electron and proton, and the masses of the proton and electron, and equates the proton to a hydrogen ion. Finally, the conversation discusses a formula for e/m and concludes with a summary of the content.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The quotient charge-mass of the electron is 1000 times greater than the one of the ion of hydrogen
hello
Witch of these are certain sentences?
a-[tex]\dfrac{e}{m_e}>\dfrac{H^{-}}{m_{H^{-}}}\cdot{1000}[/tex]
b-[tex]\dfrac{e}{m_e}>\dfrac{H^{+}}{m_{H^{+}}}\cdot{1000}[/tex]
The first accurate measurement of [tex]e/m[/tex] was made by english physicist J.J. Thomson in 1897, who demostrated that the quotient charge-mass of the electron is 1000 times greater than the one of the ion of hydrogen.
But it was cation or anion?;
This implied that electrons represent a very small portion of the mass of an atom.
Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To be honest I am not sure what your question is.

If the mass difference between electron and hydrogen atom is large enough, it doesn't matter whether you work with cation or anion (try to calculate it).

However, I believe Thomson's experiment was designed around Crookes tube, which allowed comparing cathode rays with anode rays, so the opposite charges were implied.

Hello, Borek, I knew nothing except the quote I mentioned in my first post. I had to start asking something as fuzzy as you see. I am attending a course to access university for those aged more than 45. Afterwards I've done this: the elementary charge [tex]e[/tex] is the modulus of the charge of the electron and the proton, which is [tex]1,602\times{10^{-19}}\;C[/tex]; [tex]m_{proton}=1,673\times{10^{-27}}\;kg[/tex]; [tex]m_{electron}=9,109\times{10^{-31}}\;kg[/tex]
I've equated proton to hydrogen ion, and I've called it [tex]H^+[/tex], and I've arranged this:
[tex]\dfrac{e}{m_e}>\dfrac{H^{+}}{m_{H^{+}}}\cdot{1000}[/tex]
And that's all

1. What is the quotient of the charge and mass of an electron?

The quotient of the charge and mass of an electron, also known as the specific charge, is the ratio of the magnitude of the electron's charge to its mass. It is approximately equal to 1.76 x 10^11 coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

2. How is the specific charge of an electron determined?

The specific charge of an electron is determined through experiments involving the measurement of the electron's charge and mass. One common method is using a cathode ray tube, where the deflection of the electron beam is measured in an electric and magnetic field.

3. Why is the specific charge of an electron important?

The specific charge of an electron is important because it is a fundamental constant in physics and is used in various equations and calculations. It also helps to understand the properties and behavior of electrons in different environments.

4. Is the specific charge of an electron constant?

Yes, the specific charge of an electron is considered a constant value. However, it may vary slightly in different environments due to factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How does the specific charge of an electron compare to other particles?

The specific charge of an electron is significantly higher than other particles, such as protons and neutrons. This is because electrons have a smaller mass compared to their charge, while protons and neutrons have a larger mass and similar charge.