Question about time and/or temperature of GUT symmetry breaking

In summary, there are several GUT candidates being considered by the theoretical physics community, some of which are believed to be more likely to be correct than others. Each candidate predicts a different time and temperature for GUT symmetry breaking, but there is no existing collection of detailed results for the GUT scale. One would need to do their own research on the subject or learn how to perform renormalization group calculations. However, it is difficult to assign a meaningful likelihood to any particular GUT being correct. Some suggested references for further reading on GUTs and renormalization are provided.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I understand there are quite a few GUT candidates. I also understand that among these candidates some are considered by the theoretical physics community to be more likely to be correct than others.

I am curious about what each of the various GUT candidates predicts as the time (relative to other cosmological events) and/or the temperature at which GUT symmetry breaking occurred. I would also appreciate for each candidate an estimate of the likelihood it will eventually turn out to be accepted as the "correct" GUT.

I would like to calculate for time and temperature composite (logarithmic) mean estimates (with error ranges) weighted by the likelihood estimates.

Physics news on Phys.org
The GUT scale would be determined by using the renormalization group to run the electromagnetic, weak, and strong coupling constants up to a high scale and looking for a scale ##M_\text{GUT}## at which all 3 become equal. Once this is done, you can determine an equivalent temperature as ##M_\text{GUT}c^2/k_B##. The associated time would be something like ##\hbar/(M_\text{GUT}c^2)##.

I'm not aware of any collection of detailed results for the GUT scale for a collection of models. You'd need to dig through the literature or learn how to do the RG running yourself. No one could assign any meaningful likelihood that a GUT would be correct.

fzero said:
I'm not aware of any collection of detailed results for the GUT scale for a collection of models. You'd need to dig through the literature or learn how to do the RG running yourself. No one could assign any meaningful likelihood that a GUT would be correct.
Hi fzero:

Thank you for your post.

I am of course disappointed that the information I am looking for doesn't exist, and that I know I don't have the skills to do the research myself. Perhaps you might be able to help me by recommending some references about about the various GUTs that distinguish one from another, and a reference to how to do the RG running myself.. That would be a start at least.

Regards,
Buzz

As a short overview, I would suggest http://pdg.lbl.gov/2015/reviews/rpp2014-rev-guts.pdf from the PDG. For an exhaustive review of non-SUSY GUTs, look at Langacker, Grand Unified Theories and Proton Decay, Phys.Rept. 72 (1981) 185. For SUSY GUTs, Raby has a shorter review at http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.2457. Section 2 of that is an overview of coupling constant unification and the RG equations, but it might not mean that much if you haven't already studied renormalization in QFTs before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Buzz Bloom
fzero said:
Section 2 of that is an overview of coupling constant unification and the RG equations, but it might not mean that much if you haven't already studied renormalization in QFTs before.
Hi fzero:

I mush appreciate your post, and especially the references. I suspect from your description in the quote that it will be unintelligible to me, since I have never studied renormalization before, but I expect I will find something of interest anyway.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is GUT symmetry breaking?

GUT symmetry breaking refers to the process by which the Grand Unified Theory (GUT) of particle physics, which aims to unify the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces, breaks down into the three separate forces at high energy levels.

2. When does GUT symmetry breaking occur?

GUT symmetry breaking is believed to have occurred during the early stages of the universe, specifically within the first 10^-36 seconds after the Big Bang.

3. How does GUT symmetry breaking affect the laws of physics?

GUT symmetry breaking results in the breakdown of the unified force into the three separate forces, thus changing the behavior and interactions of particles at high energies. It also helps to explain the differences in the strengths of the three forces at lower energies.

4. Is there evidence for GUT symmetry breaking?

While there is currently no direct evidence for GUT symmetry breaking, it is supported by several pieces of indirect evidence such as the existence of the three separate forces, the success of the Standard Model of particle physics, and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. How does temperature play a role in GUT symmetry breaking?

The high temperature of the early universe is believed to be a crucial factor in GUT symmetry breaking. As the universe cooled, the energy levels decreased and the unified force separated into the three distinct forces we observe today.