Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About Unit Circle (CircularFunction) of a Trig Func

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    Please take a look below example (the attached image below).

How do I know that the angle ##\sin (\frac{7π}{4})## is corresponds to the coordinates ##(\frac{\sqrt {2}}{2}, -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})##?

I know that ##\frac{7π}{4}## is 315°.

circ_func.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you draw a unit circle and mark e.g. the ##7\pi \over 4## angle ?

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3
    Should I?

5. Oct 20, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes

6. Oct 20, 2015 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

subtract ## 2\pi## that is ##\frac{7}{4}\pi -2\pi=\frac{7-8}{4}\pi=-\frac{\pi}{4}##...

7. Oct 22, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you draw a line from (0, 0) with length 1 and making angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-angle and drop a perpendicular to the x-axis, then the distance to the foot of that perpendicular, along the x-axis is the "near side" of a right triangle with angle [itex]\theta[/itex] and hypotenuse 1. Similarly, the length of the perpendicular, parallel to the y-axis, is the "opposite side".

8. Oct 22, 2015 #7
    Well, I think any high school teacher I knew when I was teaching would have a simple answer:

Memorize the unit circle (which isn't so hard to do if notice the angular symmetries and remember the mnemonic device All Students Take Calculus in order to remember the signs).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook