Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about using matrices for differential equations

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    Let x(t)=
    [x1(t)
    x2(t)]
    be a solution to the system of differential equations:

x′1(t)=−2x1(t)+2x2(t)
    x′2(t)==−6x1(t)+9x2(t)

If x(0)=
    [4
    -2]
    find x(t).

I got the eigenvalues to be -6 and -5, but I don't know how to calculate the coefficients in front of the exponents. For lambda=-6 I get the vector (1, -2) and for lambda=-5 I get the vector (2, -3). I think these would be the coefficients, but I'm not sure, and I don't know how to use the initial values for x(0). Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Given a system of equations ##\dot{\mathbf{x}}(t) = A \mathbf{x}(t)##, what is the general solution of this problem?

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    I put the vectors eigenvectors from into a matrix and put 4 and -2 on the right and solved for the two variables. I got -8 and 6 but the website says only -8 is right, and in don't know where to get the other two coefficients?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That doesn't answer my question at all.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    Wouldn't it just be A? Since other than that both sides are the same?

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In your course, what does it tell you about systems of differential equations? What book are you reading?

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7
    I haven't taken differential equations yet. I'm in matrix algebra using Elementary Linear Algebra 7e by Larson.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted