1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about using the word unique

1. Feb 25, 2017 #1
    I am trying to say that an element ##a## is paired with an element ##b## such that ##b## is paired with no other element.

I would like to write this more succinctly by just saying that ##a## is paired with a unique element ##b##. However, it seems that this could also be interpreted as meaning that ##a## is paired with exactly one element ##b##, while not necessarily implying that ##b## is not paired with any other element.

I need to get another opinion on what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

b is paired with a unique element a?

##\exists!## x: x paired with b

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3
    So does ##a## is paired with a unique ##b## mean that ##a## is associated with only one element, while ##b## is paired with a unique ##a## means that ##a## is paired with an element ##b## such that ##b## is paired with no other element?

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Are ##a## and ##b## from different sets?
    Can we distinguish ##(a,b)## and ##(b,a)##?
    Is ##(a,b) \wedge (a,c)## with ##b \neq c## possible?
    Are all ##(a,.)## paired with some element?
    Are all ##(.,b)## paired with some element?

I ask in order to find out, whether there can be established a function, or if it is just any relation.

6. Feb 25, 2017 #5
    I guess you could say that it is a bijective function from a finite set to itself

7. Feb 25, 2017 #6

fresh_42

In this case you just gave yourself the answer. Why bothering any pairing if it is already 1:1? Just write ##(a,f(a))##.

8. Feb 25, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

A general one? This is usually called a permutation, and does not have to have clear pairs, because f(f(a)) does not have to be a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted